6 replies to this topic

#1 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:27 PM

spent all day today renewing my headgasket, regrinding the valves, cleaning the gunk of the head, new valve stem oil seals, the reason teh head was taken off..

the first thing that puzzled me was why was there 2 yes 2 head gaskets fitted... was puzzled, thaught either someone doesn't know what they were doing or a cowboy did the job.

put everything back together, and got it all ready to run, added the water, droped one of the rocker cover bolts under the car, bent down to pick it up and saw coolant flowing down the right hand side of teh engine over the gearbox, puzzled i looked at the head, and the whole of the head gasket had water coming from underneath it. then i realised why someone had put 2 gaskets there last time.

i suspext that the head is walped, so have two choices get teh head skimmed for £20 or fit the engine that nick is going to take out of his mini, with twin carbs, to put his turbo in...

so nick get the engine ready for a transplant.. :P

#2 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:46 PM

nice! dont you just love fixing other peoples bodges! Ive got a few cylinderheads about if you need one, actually ive got a whole engine too (need to get rid of it!)

#3 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:54 PM

eh up cowboy! bit of a ******* there then! Got a 998cc that goes well, thrust bearing is noisy but other than that it's fine!

#4 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:29 PM

dont people that just take sort cuts anoy you? 2 head gaskets would have lowered the compression too, what was the performance like?

#5 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 03:34 PM

compresion on the engine was good, and the engine was a good little runner until the jet got bent, because the top engine steady bolt came out..

minimad :P i might take you up on that offer of a head will see how we get on down at nicks this weekend, when i drop his turbo engine off.

is it a leaded or unleaded engine?

cheers

#6 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 27 March 2005 - 03:36 PM

ok barry let us know whats going on :grin:

#7 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 08:05 PM

pick up ive pm'd u, you said uve got loads of head have you got a 110 head? and rocker gear and valers? i would kill for that gear i need to do the gasket on satday so its urgent!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users