#1 Neon trifle

Neon trifle

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:35 PM

Hi
Since having my mini I often hear a deep tone noisethumping when I hit certain revs. At first I thought it was some low down engine trouble but now think its my bonnet. I hope to find a way to stop this noise. The Mini bonnet is a very tinny and light and I am convinced someone will have someway that I could quieten this. Also anyone know if a sound proofing card is available to stick to the boonet underside like on many modern car?
Angain thanks for all your answers so far you have been helpful and have many more questions, Minis being quirky and unreliable for me.
Neon

#2 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:38 PM

Neon,
You can get underbonnet felt, most stockest keep it in but try minisport or mini spares!

As for the thumping, if it is the bonnet you can get some trim that will fit to the lip on the bodywork that should deaden any rattles

#3 Neon trifle

Neon trifle

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:23 PM

Thanks where would some of this trim for the body work under the bonnet?
Thanks
Neon

#4 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:27 PM

do u mean would the sound deadening mode for inside the car e.g. dynamat work under the bonett?

#5 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:30 PM

hell no! the sound deadening for the bonnet heed to be fire retardant! Try looking at www.minispares.com, i think that's where I got it from last time!

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 07:48 PM

The trim for the body that was mentioned is a seal for the bonnet gutter. It runs along the back and partway down each side of the bonnet gutter, with a seperate piece which fits to the front edge of the bonnet itself to seal it to the slam panel.
They make a fairly good seal around the bonnet to stop vibrations and help to keep the noise in.

#7 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:41 AM

On the early cars there was a rubber strip in the wing and scuttle troughs as Dan mentioned. There were also two rubber bumpers on the slam panel. For under the bonnet there was a vinyl covered felt pad bonded to the sheet metal. (Fire retardant? I don't think so. ) I've always understood the reason you don't use sound deadening pads on the bonnet is that they aren't rated for the heat. The bitumen ones would soften, droop, and fall onto the engine... making a God awful mess.

If you want to look into the early type vinyl covered felt pad for the bonnet you can check Mini Spares... but chances are they get it from Newton Commercial who may have a better price on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users