3 replies to this topic

#1 Neon trifle

Neon trifle

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:45 PM

Just noticed that my cooling fan is kicking in most of the time. I drive for under a mile then it runs. The needle usualy settles on the half way mark on the gauge. Is this normal behiour? All the other cars I have owned hardly ever run the fan.I have a MPI Mini and understand that the cooling fan is controled by the ECU (so little I can do there) but surly it gets its signal from the thermostat? could that be faulty? Are they easy to change? I have one of those C**p 3 months waranties and rather do it myself because the exxceeec is £30
If the fan nearly always runs will it damage owt?
Any explanations?
Thanks
Paul

#2 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:51 PM

if it is afaulty fan then let the warranty deal with it! £30?? a new fan will set you back at least £90!

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:18 PM

It's very unlikely to be a fault with the fan, and the thermostat is purely mechanical and controls the flow of water and nothing else. I can't remember if the twinpoint has a seperate sender for the cooling fan or if the fan runs off the coolant temperature sender. If there's a seperate sender for the coolant fan then it's most likely to be a fault with this. If it runs off the temp gauge sender and the gauge still reads normal then I don't see how this could be the problem, but twinpoints are very well known for temp sender problems so this could be the cause. It could also be an ECU fault or a fault with the cooling fan relay. The easiest way to find out where the problem lies is to get the fault codes read, either by your Rover dealer or by getting a small code reader for yourself from Halfords or somewhere like that.

#4 P91MER

P91MER

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 03:59 PM

It will be a faulty temperature sensor/connector. If you look on the thermostat housing, there is a small brown connector with a cable coming off it. Usually it is just loose, so you can first try and push it on a bit harder.
If that doesn't work, then you will need to get a new one from a Rover dealer, they are £10 and they usually stock them as it is the same on other Rovers..

It could also be a dodgey cable/connector, but to replace this you will need to get hold of another one from a scrappy, as Rover only stocks the full loom. And you will need to cut into your existing loom to fit it, so do the first one first!

Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users