40 replies to this topic

#16 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 04:21 PM

helo! just wonderign i am going to grind the valves in so ile need a valve spring compressor ile be abel to borrow one is this a fiderly job? seen the doing it on a harley on TV so its basicaly the same, what grinding paste should i use?

#17 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 05:04 PM

Head gasket should be dry but check the heads straight before you replace otherwise youll be doing it all again in a couple of days.
Valve spring removal- piece o' p*ss just make sure you give the top of each stem a tap with a hammer as per haynes otherwise when you compress the spring the collets and top thing (sorry no good with technical names) will stick to the spring whereas it should stand proud allowing you to release the split collets.
good luck!

#18 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 05:39 PM

Only use fine paste. You don't want to be taking off too much metal, just enough to match the surfaces.

#19 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 07:44 PM

so about half a pea's worth?

ohh another Q lol

in trhe gasket set the guy showed me and in the books there are 4 little rubber things what are they?

#20 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:30 PM

they are vealve stem seals, you put them on your inlet valves,t hey can also b placed on the exhuast valves but arent commonly used

#21 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:37 PM

ohh ! i though they would be tiny little things lol, will the engien be loads beter than before once ive done it? at the momment it blows at the exhaust manifold and burns a little oil. will it respond better pull beter of what?

ohh abot uhe rockers, when i put them back on will i need to ajust them of not?? jsut plonk them on and bolt them up??

#22 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:19 PM

You need to use enough paste to do the job without using so much that it takes for ever to clean it out. Use a little to start with and if it's not working then add some more. Just a thin smear over the valve seat is enough. Just make sure you use fine paste.

Yes, you will need to re-adjust your rocker screws again after doing this.

And about what you said before, don't use any kind of sealant on your head or manifold gaskets. Always fit these dry.
A little blue sealant (non setting, don't use any kind of RTV or silicon which will dry solid) around the rocker box gasket faces helps to seal the cork to the metal, and you can use a little bit of the same on your thermostat and heater stub gaskets too if you like.
There are no gaskets under the rocker posts, and don't put any sealant under them. Make sure the rocker oil feed (which runs through one of the rocker posts) stays nice and clean, both in the head and in the post.
REMEMBER to keep your pushrods in the right order (keep them pushed into a cereal box with holes punched in it and numbered up 1 to 8), and any studs that might come out as you remove the nuts need to go back in the hole they came from.
The center front stud might be a little tight in the head, don't worry it's meant to be. It's also a head dowel to locate the head nicely.
As you take the valves apart it's VERY important to keep all the parts of each individual valve as a set and put them back in the position they came from. If you know anyone with a young child (I mean younger than yourself :P ) then get eight empty, clean baby food jars off them if you can. They are great for keeping the valve parts together. As you strip each valve put all the bits in a jar and number them 1 to 8 (1 is the water pump end). And then when you are regrinding only do one valve at a time and keep all the others in their jars.
You are only re-lapping your valves so don't go mental and I wouldn't bother with putting the grinding stick in a drill if I were you, it's very easy to remove load of metal if you do that.
While you have it apart, take out the temperature sender and give it a bit of a buff with some fine wet and dry sandpaper. ONLY take off the build up of crud on the surface, don't break through the copper. When it's nice and shiny you get a better reading from the gauge which is a good thing after you've changed the gasket, in case anything goes wrong and the temperature starts to climb when you restart it.

Hope that all helps! :P

#23 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:09 PM

wicked thats anserd near all the questions! but raised a few more!

i didnt know the push rods would come out....

do they jsut drop back in?

hello again lol

how can i tell if the head is warped? and should i skimm it any way to raise the compression?

#24 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:15 PM

just have to put me into it as i'm going to bolt on the same head...

it's said that the head needs refacing. it is talked of "18 thou"... unfortunately as a non native english speaker i don't know what is meant... how much is that in millimetres?

thx,
falk

erm, just to tell. the engine below is a '91 a-plus...

#25 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:00 PM

hello just brought loadsa stuff! got a gasket set oil filter engien paint and a valve grinder suker thingi!

also lookign at the valve stem oil seals have a coil/spring type thing on one end, which way do they go in??

Attached Files

#26 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:54 PM

the spring bit sits at the top, you will see the old ones when u take the valve springs off

#27 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:16 PM

answering the question from falk, a thou is one thousanth of an inch. this is 0.4572mm

#28 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:24 PM

Lift the rods and give them a little twist and they will come out. You can feel them pop out of the oil in the tappet. Do it cautiously, one at a time and keep them in order. When you refit them make sure you get them seated into the tappets properly. Give them a twist again and you'll feel if they're in place. It's easy enough. If a tappet comes out of place don't worry, the 998 block has tappet chests that you can access to refit them properly.

To check if the head is flat you need a steel rule (in good condition). Hold the edge of it against the head and see if you can see light through under it or get a 1 thou feeler blade under it. Do it accross the front and back of the head gasket face sided to side, then do it front to back, do it between each cylinder, then diagonally each way to check how flat it is. If it doesn't need skimming then don't do it as it will rasie your compression ratio. It's easy to check and there should be a diagram or photo in Haynes to describe what to do.

#29 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:31 PM

thx leonard...

@miniman5: the valve stem seals on the exhaust valves are unneccessary.
they make sense on the inlet side as the petrol air mixture is 'sucked' into the combustion chambers which at least gives low pressure and that way oil tries to sneak between valve stem and seat into the chamber thus prevented by the seal.

on the outletside its exactly the opposite as exhaust gases are blown out and this way oil can't sneak between stem and seat because of teh higher pressure on the inside...

just leave them away...

sry for my silly sounding expression. english is not my native language... :wink:

#30 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:59 PM

ok so dan when i lift the head of the rods will come with it?!?!?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users