40 replies to this topic

#31 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:58 AM

the day is nieh here we go lol cant wait to do it jsut waiting for my school pal dean to come over and where guna get a crakin with the nakin! look in my project (silly silber) ile put all teh pics and how it all went in there later! :P

#32 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:57 AM

take the rods off before the head. make sure you carefully wiggle them so the cam followers drop off still standing up.
first remove rockers, then pushrods (keep them in order), then head. remember to torque the headnuts up in the right order, and again when the engine has been run for a while.
best of luck

#33 Boab

Boab

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 02 April 2005 - 05:05 PM

Just a quick question, why do you have to keep the rods in the right order? (Even though I have done this)

#34 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:52 PM

i think its because parts wear into each other. ie push rods and cam followers wear to each others shape, as do rockers and push rods. you have to keep them in order as they are now matched parts

#35 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:56 PM

make sure you unbolt the head in a circular motion, or as the Haynes says or esle you may warp the head! You can lift the head off and the push rods will come out with it, then relove the rockers and pull them out!

#36 AndyM

AndyM

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:04 PM

Just a small tip when replacing the head gasket: Don't forget to reset the rocker-to-valve stem clearances. Just replaced the head gasket on a friend's over the weekend and scratched our heads for half an hour as to why it wouldn't start. There was no clearance at all, therefore no compression, therefore no va va voom.
Andy.

#37 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:05 PM

no clearance? no compression? surely if there was no clearance it would open the valve sooner!?

#38 AndyM

AndyM

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:30 PM

I meant there was no clearance between the valve stem and the rocker, so the valves were never completely closing. Hence no compression. Andy.

#39 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:53 PM

hello! have a look in my project (silly silber) ive got soem picys in there, ile put some more in tomorrow.

#40 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:46 AM

have a question to the 18thou again that need to be skimmed of the head...

sure that it should only be 18/1000 and not 18/100? because 18/1000 of an inch is 0.457mm and that would mean if i only had to skim the head by only almost half a mm (keeping in mind that we thereby make the combustion chamber about 3cc smaller) that the area of the combustion chamber would be around 65 square centimetres, which ican't believe...

am i completely confused or just wrong?

#41 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:01 AM

hello just sorted the miss fireing out! :( wan just lean thats all just need to ajust the idleign speen now and its sorted! :grin:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users