Photo

Cleaning Engine Bay With Engine Still In It?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:18 PM

I was just re-reading minimadmike's fabby guide to cleaning & painting carb engines & bays without taking everything out & I'm starting to get insanely jealous. :w00t:

Clunkety here

There's soooo much under an Mpi bonnet. :D Does anybody think it's possible with an Mpi? Has anybody attempted it?

Edited by Juju, 09 January 2008 - 02:18 PM.

#2 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

Can't see why not, it will just take a lot longer and a fair bit more work to do. I'd like to do the same but I'm a lazy bum and it would probably all get dirty again a week later! :D

#3 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

Can't see why not, it will just take a lot longer and a fair bit more work to do. I'd like to do the same but I'm a lazy bum and it would probably all get dirty again a week later! :D

You reckon you'd get yer fingers in all the fiddly bits? :w00t:

#4 *STONEY*

*STONEY*

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Local Club: www.time2cruise.co.uk

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:30 PM

You reckon you'd get yer fingers in all the fiddly bits? :ermm:

Yer get ya lil paint brush out . . .Brake cleaner is good to clean engine with :w00t:

#5 wolfys_mini

wolfys_mini

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,493 posts
  • Local Club: many!

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:36 PM

small paint brush and gunk, youd be all good then!

juju, i have a question but your inbox is full :D

#6 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:36 PM

Can't see why not, it will just take a lot longer and a fair bit more work to do. I'd like to do the same but I'm a lazy bum and it would probably all get dirty again a week later! :w00t:

You reckon you'd get yer fingers in all the fiddly bits? :dontgetit:

I'm very good with my hands. :D

Particually my fingers! :ermm:

#7 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:17 PM

small paint brush and gunk, youd be all good then!

juju, i have a question but your inbox is full :ermm:

Mailbox emptied. :w00t:

I might have a lil go at this on friday pm. have to have her tappets sorted, so while the bonnet's open & I have a man bending over, I may have a fiddle & see. :D

#8 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

so while the bonnet's open & I have a man bending over, I may have a fiddle & see. :w00t:

Classic! :D

#9 CooperTrooper

CooperTrooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

Have fun trying to get behind the radiator! And the throttlebody! And the alternator! And the fusebox! :D

#10 stickycreambun

stickycreambun

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:23 PM

any excuse...

get some carb or brake cleaner, and make sure you pick up one of those tiny straws. just be careful the paintwork and your eyes, that stuff stings! I like a nice, simple carb setup, no injectors, no brake servo, rad on the side...loads of room. ish!

good luck, remember piccies.
:D

#11 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:33 PM

Have fun trying to get behind the radiator! And the throttlebody! And the alternator! And the fusebox! :D

Keyhole surgery time, I reckon...

#12 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:13 PM

are there any gaps inbetween the engine and bits to clean on a mpi ?

#13 miniboy1971

miniboy1971

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:22 PM

I took the plunge and started a long term plan to clean up my MPI engine when my water pump failed a couple of years ago.

Once I'd removed this and had a bit of a clean up. I decided to remove or loosen off anything else that would give me more access around the engine bay. This included the air filter case, alternator, thermostat, coil pack, ecu, spark plugs, HT leads, expansion tank, etc.

My skills and tools are fairly limited, but I took digital photos as I went along so I could remember where it all came from and kept everything in boxes.

Here's where I started from with some of the bits removed. Fairly manky !! Note the waxoyl on the inner wings (wish I hadn't sprayed it there !!)

Posted Image

I used a number of different fluids, tools and techniques to get rid of the grime, using mainly what I could find around my house and garage.

I started with the least aggressive and built up depending on the level of dirt and type of underlying surface. I used things like a strong household detergent, degreaser (not G*nk as it used to stink!!), white spirit and thinners. Always being careful of anything flammable/corrosive and of course wearing gloves/glasses !!

Application was with things such as cotton buds (yes I'm sad), toothbrushes, 1/2" decorators brush, wire wool, 1500 grit wet/dry and rags. Mask or cover up anything vunerable.

I would use the good old jet wash occasionally, using a pin sharp spray on hardware such as the clutch housing, brake reservoirs, etc. but being really careful not to flood anything electrical. On more delicate surfaces and really stubborn marks, I also used my wall paper steamer with just the hose and a stiff brush.

I'd clean up/polish all the bits I’d previously removed and repaint or spray them if necessary.

I masked up and carefully hand painted the engine block and cylinder head using Halfords High Temperature Engine Paint. I've got a JCG conversion, so I did the head in blue as this had discoloured.

Posted Image

To add a bit of shine, I'd liberally spray the whole engine compartment with AutoGlym Vinyl/Rubber Care (some people use WD40) and leave it to dry naturally. This gives a nice protective sheen and it lasts quite well. Dust will stick to this product, but I give the engine a wash down with a soapy sponge and hose every now and again and just re-apply. I've used clear engine lacquer before on another car, but this went yellow and cracked, so I avoid this now (but their might be better products around now!!)

Posted Image

I've added a few shiny bits, but haven't gone too mad as I want it to remain fairly standard looking. I've entered the car into a few show and shine competitions and pleased to have done quite well - with lots of people commenting on the engine bay.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The finish I've got here is the result of attacking different areas as and when I get the time (and lots of it !!) . This was not an afternoon job, but it depends on what you want to achieve. I wanted something to show off, but others might be happy with it just being clean enough to make regular maintenance easier.

You'll get filthy dirty doing it, with bashed knuckles, sore knees and backache, but it's well worth the effort.

Good luck !!!

Edited by miniboy1971, 10 January 2008 - 09:12 AM.

#14 BoyracerAU

BoyracerAU

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:02 AM

That's a brilliant looking engine bay! :w00t:)

#15 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:27 AM

I took the plunge and started a long term plan to clean up my MPI engine when my water pump failed a couple of years ago.

Once I'd removed this and had a bit of a clean up. I decided to remove or loosen off anything else that would give me more access around the engine bay. This included the air filter case, alternator, thermostat, coil pack, ecu, spark plugs, HT leads, expansion tank, etc.

My skills and tools are fairly limited, but I took digital photos as I went along so I could remember where it all came from and kept everything in boxes.

Here's where I started from with some of the bits removed. Fairly manky !! Note the waxoyl on the inner wings (wish I hadn't sprayed it there !!)

Posted Image

I used a number of different fluids, tools and techniques to get rid of the grime, using mainly what I could find around my house and garage.

I started with the least aggressive and built up depending on the level of dirt and type of underlying surface. I used things like a strong household detergent, degreaser (not G*nk as it used to stink!!), white spirit and thinners. Always being careful of anything flammable/corrosive and of course wearing gloves/glasses !!

Application was with things such as cotton buds (yes I'm sad), toothbrushes, 1/2" decorators brush, wire wool, 1500 grit wet/dry and rags. Mask or cover up anything vunerable.

I would use the good old jet wash occasionally, using a pin sharp spray on hardware such as the clutch housing, brake reservoirs, etc. but being really careful not to flood anything electrical. On more delicate surfaces and really stubborn marks, I also used my wall paper steamer with just the hose and a stiff brush.

I'd clean up/polish all the bits I'd previously removed and repaint or spray them if necessary.

I masked up and carefully hand painted the engine block and cylinder head using Halfords High Temperature Engine Paint. I've got a JCG conversion, so I did the head in blue as this had discoloured.

Posted Image

To add a bit of shine, I'd liberally spray the whole engine compartment with AutoGlym Vinyl/Rubber Care (some people use WD40) and leave it to dry naturally. This gives a nice protective sheen and it lasts quite well. Dust will stick to this product, but I give the engine a wash down with a soapy sponge and hose every now and again and just re-apply. I've used clear engine lacquer before on another car, but this went yellow and cracked, so I avoid this now (but their might be better products around now!!)

Posted Image

I've added a few shiny bits, but haven't gone too mad as I want it to remain fairly standard looking. I've entered the car into a few show and shine competitions and pleased to have done quite well - with lots of people commenting on the engine bay.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The finish I've got here is the result of attacking different areas as and when I get the time (and lots of it !!) . This was not an afternoon job, but it depends on what you want to achieve. I wanted something to show off, but others might be happy with it just being clean enough to make regular maintenance easier.

You'll get filthy dirty doing it, with bashed knuckles, sore knees and backache, but it's well worth the effort.

Good luck !!!

Blimey O'Reilly & Crikey Bill! That's an amazing job!! :thumbsup: :teehee:

Nice one, miniboy1971!

Thanks so much for posting that. It's twuly inspiwing......... :w00t:

How long did it take you, do you reckon?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users