Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:22 PM

hello!

i'm getting another mini, but it has a slight problem with the 'gearbox'. It engages all gears lovely, except there is no gate (if you like) to select third, i.e you come out of second, and just have to feel where third is, there's no stop to guide you in. The same applies for reverse, there is no lift action evident, it just drops in without any fiddling at all.

Rather than the gearbox being at fault, i've an idea it could be the rod change selector box directly under the stick thats the problem?? I'm thinking that if there was a major problem with the box then it would be making horrible noises, and not behaving at all, but it is. The engine has good oil pressure, and seems in good nick all round.

The car is a 1990 Cooper, fitted with an MG Metro engine and box.

If anyone could confirm or dispute my thinking, that'd be cool!

Thanks! :tongue:

Tom

#2 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:47 PM

can it drive in 3rd? does it make any difference selecting gears when engine is/isn't running?
Even when the box is detached from the gearchange mechanism all the gears should 'lock' in, needing force to be selected and deselected if that makes sense (i mean taking the engine off the box and using your hand (or more often a wooden hammer shaft) to move the synchro thingy). ie it shouldnt just slide in and out of gear smoothly with no 'notchiness' at all as i think youre describing. This would seem to suggest a problem in the box itself rather than the selector box. I think this effect is due to the 3 ball bearings and springs in each synchro hub, i guess if they werent there or one or more popped out this could cause this effect, as i spose could a worn synchro where it passes over the ball bearing?
However im no expert and could be talking out of my a*se! I might even have misunderstood the problem :P
good luck sorting it anyway!

#3 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:58 PM

Nope it drives fine, no noise at all. It stays in gear once selected, and there is the typical mini gearbox notchyness when changing.

What I mean is (or what I should have said), is that the gear lever doesn't stop when moving up and accross into third, ie you can move it 'past' third into reverse territory, so you have to feel third into gear, rather than there being a stop when you get there. Its almost as if the engaging spring for reverse in the gear selector is broken.

Tom

#4 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:03 PM

o i see
I think some people grind off a bit under the gearknob deliberately so that they dont need to lift for reverse..sounds like this is what yours has!

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:05 PM

Hey, I made a reply to this and it's vanished!

Anyhow, here's roughly what I said.

The lift for reverse action is controlled entirely by the selector housing. If you don't need to lift it could be caused by either the bottom of the housing being missing or dented or the bottom of the gearstick being worn.

All other gear selection limits are controlled within the gearbox. 'Searching' for gears can be caused by missing/damaged/worn out gear selector mounting cotton reels or bracket or gearbox steady rod bushes (the one at the back which runs parallel to the selector shaft) but if that's all healthy then the problem is inside the box.

#6 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:22 PM

hmmm, ok dan, thank you.

I'm not 100% sure, so I think what I'll do initially is replace the rod change housing under the car, as I have a spare one so its sensible to do that first to see if it helps at all.

The lack of any sort of stop or need for a lift action when engaging reverse - and the fact every other gear engages freely - would that in all probability indicate selector housing?

Sorry to be a pain, just trying to put my mind at rest a bit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users