3 replies to this topic

#1 mini998

mini998

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 05:55 AM

Yesterday I saw that brake oil is leaking out from my clutch master cylinder, so I removed it from the car and realized that it is in very bad condition and need a new one,

Is it possible to change brake master pump which is in reasonably good condition to clutch and get a brand new one for brakes.(both seems similar)

And I also have hopes of converting front brakes to Honda civic disks brakes, so if I put a master pump with bore 0.7" and small reservoir, will it be able to handle Honda brakes?

Is fluid level enough to fill the cylinders of calipers, and do I need a servo

ps-disk diameter will be 7.9 inches

-ima

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:10 AM

You should replace the clutch master with a nother clutch master, old brake masters are a different shape, and without checking I thnk the bores are different sizes...

as for the brakes, is this a possible conversion, and for what concievable reason would you want to but honda brakes on a mini, you would also have to change the disks, and probably drive flanges and drive shafts.. especially when the mini brakes are prefect adequate

the rest of the questions are pretty much irrelavent until you have considered the above, but a servo will make no difference to the volume of fluid required to actuate the brakes

#3 mini998

mini998

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:50 AM

From out side they look same and bore size is 0.7" in both pumps.

then is it OK to swap brake pump to clutch and get mini a master pump with large reservoir for brakes.

-ima

#4 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:43 PM

It is NOT acceptable to use brake and clutch masters for each other. One of the two has an internal "non-return" valve. (I believe this is in the brake. ) As GuessWorks said, get the right part and install it. Don't improvise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users