4 replies to this topic

#1 mini998

mini998

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:55 AM

I saw that several people have done Honda disk brake conversions to minis.

Does any body have an idea about the performance of these?
And if Honda ones are fitted then what about the master pump, can standard pump be used.

Do u guys know how to fix a Japanese master pump to a mini? Because the pushrod in Japanese pumps is horizontal?

-PS
The reason to search Japanese parts is, in Sri Lanka it is very difficult find a genuine mini parts , and they are too expensive).

-ima

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:14 AM

As far as I'm aware, all honda brake conversions have been done on minis which have been converted to use the V-Tech engine, therefore the honda fron suspension and running gear is used...

I've never heard of Honda brakes being used on an A series powered mini.

#3 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:47 PM

Guessworks, there is a conversion that some of my Australian friends have done where they fit Honda calipers and rotors to the front of drum-braked Minis. It requires a certain size rim to clear the calipers. This conversion does not involve adding the V-Tec engine. To the best of my knowledge though, this conversion uses the standard Lockheed master cylinder.
See the technical section at:
http://www.miniportal.ca/

#4 mini998

mini998

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:25 AM

yes dklawson you are right, that was the forum I saw Honda disk brake conversions, by the way lot of Australians are doing it,

This the way they are doing it(thanks to kevin)

Honda Civic to Mini brake conversion-
DISCLAIMER-
I take no responsibility for the performance or fitting problems associated with this conversion.

From the wreckers:
1 set Honda Civic `84-87 discs & calipers. Measure mounting bolt spacing, should be 140mm. leave the hubs on the car..
Get also the pads, pad springs, brake hoses & banjo bolt connectors, caliper mounting bolts (12mm fine thread)
If there are a few cars to choose, grab the one with the best (thickest) discs.
Machining: (12 or 13" wheels)
1. Bore the centre of the disc to 65.0mm dia.
2. Knock the studs out of the drive flange. Set up true in lathe, machine the front of flange down to 65.0mm dia. Only take a
few thou off the front mounting face to clean up, where the drum sat.
3. Redrill the disc accurately to suit the Mini stud pattern. 4 holes 10.0mm dia on 4.0" (101.6mm) PCD. Also drill the 2
holes 7.5mm approx for the long type drum screws. I use an old drive flange with the corners welded up, then turned to be a
neat fit inside the disc. I have a clamp bar welded across the end of it so I can clamp it into the disc.
Refit the wheel studs- oil the holes first.
4. Spacers- you can make from alloy- 130mm OD x 74mm ID x 25 thick.
Or, get 2 old S rear drums and part the drum off, save the spacer part. All the holes are already right so that's easier than
alloy ones.
5. Make 2 caliper mounting plates. I made the last set from 130x8 flat bar but it's a little thick. 6.5 or 7.0mm would be
better. 1/4 plate is OK too.

6. FOR 10" wheels only- Machine the disc down to 7.90" dia.
7. Assemble using longer 5/16x3/4" UNF screws for the caliper plates to hub.
8. The Mini brake hoses will screw in... but you need 2 copper washers to seal- the last thread on the Mini hose catches the
1st thread on the caliper which is not C/bored like an S one. Also watch the hoses don't rub on the tie bars- twist the hoses
a little to clear.
A better way is use the Honda hoses and get a new front steel pipe made.
Pics are here- http://home.swiftdsl...~zoomini/Honda/

NOTE:
I no longer like the 7.9" conversion, as the pads need to be ground away to clear the disc, every time you buy pads.

Cheers,
Kevin

The only disadvantage is grounding of pads(according to this description)

What do you think?

-ima

#5 mini998

mini998

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:43 AM

http://p211.ezboard....icID=6319.topic

this has lot information

-ima