Photo
- - - - -

Rear bearings has to replace frequently....

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mini998

mini998

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:57 AM

I had this problem couple of months ago, currently it’s not too dangerous but I can feel that it will come soon…

About six months ago my right hand side rear wheel bearings was renewed .I used ball bearings for the new ones. couple of months later the new bearings showed signs of wearing ,(little sound came) after a week when I was traveling a strange noise came from that wheel and I realize that some thing wrong with my bearings, after I inspect the bearing I realized that they are damaged very badly.

Then I replaced them with new tapered roller bearings, and I also replaced the hub of that particular wheel, but I noticed that with brand new bearings on wheel shows a little movement, that movement was there when I renewed the bearings in previous time. This was strange because other 3 wheels did not have any movement even with older bearings.

Now (after 4 months) the bearing shows sign of wearing. Most of the times I only travel with my girlfriend (75kg+50kg), and I’m too afraid to take any more passengers in my car because of this problem,

I can’t imagine the reason for this, can any body help?

-ima

#2 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:11 PM

it seems you have a we problem..

you say that when you changed the bearings last time (about 4 months ago)
you changed the flange also but you still had free play in the bearings still...

unless the wrong components were fitted then the problem more than likelly is on your radoius arm stub axle or face. basically the old bearings could have caused some damage before you changed them..

so you will now be looking at changing the radius arm if this is the problem

im not saying you did it wrong either but did you have enough grease in the bearings, and where they tightned correctlly.

the way to adjust them is to tighten them fully so it is hard to turn the hub,(this is to bed them in) then release them and tighten until the freeplay is all taken up, leavng free moving spining hub. if the hub sticks at all then the bearings need to be rechecked for servicability

#3 andyps

andyps

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:31 PM

Do you know which sort of tapered roller bearings you fitted? The early ones used a separate spacer between the inners which has to be matched to the actual bearings you have and should be supplied as a complete set tied together. The later ones (which should be pre-greased with red - I think - grease) do not need the spacer as they have extended shoulders which directly mount against each other.

Either way, the hub nut should be tightened to the correct torque when using the tapered roller bearings - not like many other TRB applications where you tighten them up and then back off a little.

What size wheels/tyres and how much offset are you using as this can have a dramatic effect on bearing life.

If you changed hte hub it kind of rules out hub wear, but the stub axle may be worn which would cause some problems.

#4 mini998

mini998

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 04:15 AM

I used the later bearing kit(compleate set).and did fit it correctly.

so i think the stub axle may be worn,better replace it,

and i use 10 " revelution alloy wheels with 165/70/10 dunlop tyres.

as i said i only take one passenger at a time.

-ima

#5 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:57 AM

do you do hand brake turn? go incredibly fast round islands?

these would affect the bearing as its not being used for the thing it was desinged to do. and its stressed lateraly not verticaly like a bearign should be...

fwoor! that was technical for me! lol :P

#6 andyps

andyps

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:02 PM

Tapered roller bearings are designed for lateral and radial loads in combination. However, the force of lots of handbrake turns would not be included in the original design brief :grin:

165/70x10 tyres should not wear the bearings too quickly.

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:10 PM

Don't bother trying to replace the stub axle, they are almost impossible to get out of the radius arm and you'll never get the part. Fit a recon arm instead, they are only about 30 quid. You need a 50 tonne press to get the old stub axle out of the arm anyway......

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:37 PM

I knew that 50 tonne press I bought off that dodgy geezer in an alley would come in handy, well I spose I shud stop using it for weight training then!!

#9 mini998

mini998

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:57 AM

What exactly is a 'recon arm'?

is it the straight bar use for competition cars

-ima

#10 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:58 AM

No, he means a reconditioned radius arm, Mini Spares sell them for about £30-40, where as a brand new one costs about £200.

#11 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:01 AM

they have new bearings and axel with them so no play in them at all! they a pratically brand new apart from the arm them selfs are just stripped and repainted

#12 mini998

mini998

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:34 AM

I just remembered something,

When I was fitting the tapered roller bearings last time there was a rubber shim came with the bearing box. (Diameter was equal to the axle)

The spare parts guy said I do not need to fit it to the car .so I did not.

By the way I have installed the later type bearing set it does not need s spacer, half of the spacer is fitted with each bearing

Is it has to do some thing with this problem, if it needed to be installed then to where should I fit it (I mean the position at the axle)

-ima

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users