#1 t@z

t@z

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: www.turbominis.co.uk

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:41 AM

ok i brough tmy car and been waiting for the bloke who i brough it off to send me the log book...anyway cant get hold of the guy and so applying for new v5 with me as owner....

my question is though that i know the guy did some head work, but how do i tell if the head is unleaded or not??

i dont have an engine number doesn't seem to be one present..... :P

#2 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:39 AM

id be a little worried firslly about the guy not giving you the V5 secondlly the engine not having a number, this should be on the right hand side if the block just by the alternator as you look in the engine bay the first few numbers and letters are teh casting then you'll have the engine number after that

if there is no engine number phone the bloke and ask why?

as for knowing if it as unleaded or not it is allmost difficult to tell, just by looking at the head, obviouslly the younger the car the more chance but looking at your avitar you have a J reg which will be leaded, to find out if it hs been altered you will need to know the history of the engine from previous owners

hope this helps

#3 t@z

t@z

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:01 PM

well the guy said that he had just moved house and that it was in some boxes....he seemed genuien so i trusted him....and i've spoken to him since and he said that he would send it last week but i tired to ring him yesterday and his mobile had been disconnected (i think)....however i have his brothers phone number through ebay which i wil try later.

the log books not that much of a problem as i've spoken to the DVLA and they said i just need to fill out a V62 form but obviously i'm concerned about the engine number.....and why it hasn't got one...i was thinking maybe its a new block but i dont know if they come with engine numbers...oh i forgot to mention that it has had a 1293-t engine dropped in it, not the original engine.

also if anyone is familiar with the v62 form do i have to fill it out with the original engine etc as that could be difficult or can i send it off with the new engine details in it (obviously minus the number if its needed)

:P

#4 t@z

t@z

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 04:57 PM

found the necky git....call tomorrow me thinks :P and ask some questions :fear:

#5 andyps

andyps

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:26 PM

I have seen lots of Mini engines without numbers on them so wouldn't worry too much about that.

Almost impossible to tell if it is unleaded unless you take the head off, in which case you can see the hardened valve seat if you look really carefully.

#6 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:27 PM

filling out a V62 is easy you just put your name and address plus all the cars details, oh yes and pay £19 for the trouble, it used to be free but not anymore.

if its an a+ engine the number will be in teh same place, if not have a good look around the block there should be an engine number somewhere..

hope you get hold of the bloke soon and get the V5 plus some more engine info

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:40 PM

The only place engine numbers have ever been fitted to A series/A plus engines is on the head gasket face under the thermostat as said above.
The number has been removed because it's been re-bored which probably means it was re-faced at the same time. You have to take the number plate off the block to be able to use any machines on it (except on twin point blocks which have the number engraved).
Unless you speak to whoever machined it or had it built there is no way you can tell if it's unleaded without taking the head off, and even then it's tricky. Properly fitted valve seat inserts are almost impossible to see.
The car needs to be registered with whatever engine is in it currently, the original engine is irrelevant. And you will need an engine number technically....

#8 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:45 PM

Just make up an engine number and register the car with it... (after putting that number on the engine) (have it stamped onto a small plate and then tack it to the place that Dan mentioned).

Incidentally Dan, did you receive my PM about a week back (before the forums went down)? Never got naything back from you about payment!

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:50 PM

Yes I think I did.

You're probably right about Paypal being easiest, I'll set up an account this week.

#10 t@z

t@z

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 08:25 AM

is there a specific layout the engine numbers have to read like for most number plates or can i have a personal engine number??

#11 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:29 PM

Mini ones should read:

Capacity, (12 for 1275, 99 for 998 and various other sizes are available from the BMC range) Orientation (H for horizontal), build code (as in F16, B24 etc, a code for the components used in the engine) and then a six figure serial number.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users