#1 johnnie

johnnie

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Local Club: NORFOLK MINIS

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:08 PM

Hi. I've found a wiring loom hanging on (and being burnt by) my exhaust manifold. The loom is a four wire colours Yellow/green, black, blue and brown. Ive traced it back to a plug near the clutch master cylinder but can't work out where it actually goes. I've disconnected it and strangely everything appears to work :) . Can anybody help with what this is for or where it goes?
i've checked a wiring diagram and its not really conclusive as the colours are used for different jobs on various models.
My car is a 2000 LE works. Can somebody just stick their head under their bonnent if they run a simular car

Thanks a lot.

#2 stickycreambun

stickycreambun

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:16 PM

not being funny, its definately the cars original wiring loom? I ask because my first mini confused the buggery out of my dad and me, trying to sort a few problems out. Turned out we were trying to 'fix' things using a (nonfunctional) alarm that had been bodged into the loom!!

#3 johnnie

johnnie

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:36 PM

not being funny, its definately the cars original wiring loom? I ask because my first mini confused the buggery out of my dad and me, trying to sort a few problems out. Turned out we were trying to 'fix' things using a (nonfunctional) alarm that had been bodged into the loom!!

Yea I'd say the plug it goes into is deffo original loom.
The wiring into the plug is blacks and whites and one of the cables is significantly thinner than the others.
I.m hoping its unused (ie air-con or the like)

#4 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:33 PM

Are you sure about the actual colours?

The main colour is the first colour, then the tracer colour is the second colour.

Yellow green says its for the throttle position sensor, but dont know about the blue brown, black is normaly a ground

The Oxygen sensor mounted on the left side of the exhaust manifold as you look at the engine bay has two white wires, a grey and a black. The wiring loom colours for the oxygen sensor are Blue/Red , the heater 12v+ supply, Black, the heater ground, Green/ Slate, the sensor ground, Slate, the Sensor signal

#5 johnnie

johnnie

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:58 PM

Yea dead sure about the colours. I've got the piece of wire in my hand.

yellow/green
blue
brown
black

trouble is I can only find one end!!!! thats the plug by the clutch master cylinder. I have no idea where the loom leads. I have about 16" of wire to a burnt mess at the moment.
Where is the throttle postion sensor? Yellow/green does appear to tie in to that although one of the diagrams I checked had a simular coloured wire going to a Cat overheat warning (Not in this country I suspect)

Attached Files

Edited by johnnie, 20 January 2008 - 06:01 PM.

#6 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:46 PM

oxygen sensor wiring? as that sensor fits in the exhaust manifold

#7 johnnie

johnnie

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

Happy Update
I managed to spend some time with Henry (Cooper) today and traced the wire from the Plug back to a sensor in the Exhaust manifold. Oxygen? lamba? who knows. I,m running a LCB so I suspect this is posibley out of position compared to a standard car. Anyway, ,I then found a plug next to the airbox with the remains of the damaged loom hanging out of it :D . Fortunatley there was just enough wire felt to make a repair (haven't soldered for years, but, was quite impressed, if I say so myself).
Dispite a matter of about six inches missing I think I've managed to route the cable and safely tye-wrap it out of the way.
What do you know, the tick-over, which has crept up to about 1200rpm over the last few days, has just dropped back to 950rpm. :P

thanks all all who answered

#8 BoyracerAU

BoyracerAU

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:38 AM

Congratulations! You nailed a problem you knew of and solved a riddle you hadn't begun to contemplate. That's a very satisfying result. :D

#9 johnnie

johnnie

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:03 PM

Congratulations! You nailed a problem you knew of and solved a riddle you hadn't begun to contemplate. That's a very satisfying result. :thumbsup:

Cheers mate Some days are quite good arn't they?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users