wouter

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Netherlands

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:15 PM

Hi,

I am rebuilding a 1982 1000E, and I have a brand new headlining made. Now I am at the stage where I can fit it onto the car. As it doesn't have the window shapes and all marked and it is completely square, I need some fitting instructions.

Lindsay Porter just says: begin at the back and stretch the wrinkles out from the front, but I need some more detail.

Does anyone have a detailed fitting instruction for me? For instance the one the Newton Commercial supplies with their headlinings?

Thanks in advance.
PS A picture of the mini can be found here: http://www.velde.co....12/pc090082.JPG

Cheers,
Wouter

#2 Southy

Southy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: Oldham and Distrcit Mini Club

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:48 PM

Right the way to fit a headlining is as follows, (and your lucky im doing this I typed it out once and my internet died and lost it all).
Insert the bars into the slots which are sown into the headlining, the correct order from the front is:-

Red
White
White

Black
Blue
Yellow

The way to tell which is the front and back of the headlining cloth is that the back has a small panel section where as the front has a larger one.

Then centre the bars in the headlining and using a sharp Stanley knife blade cut the slot open from the end till about an inch/inch and a half after the clip. Repeat this for all of the bars.
Originally when the Mini’s were fitted with headlining they had horrible padding attached to the roof where the bars go, I recommend keeping these as they make the bar sit tight upwards and stops the bar from rolling around. If you don’t have these anymore use some foam about 1-2cm thick and cut the strip about 5cm wide and about 10cm in length and using spray adhesive attach these to line up with the holes for the bars across the roof as it will make your life easier later on.

Then get someone to help you place it inside your car the correct way round large panel to the front, small to the rear, and pop the clips into the holes in the roof rail.
Once the headlining is in the car, roll the bars upright so they sit against the foam on the roof, then go to the back of the car and pull the headlining tight in the middle and then hold in place using a quick clamp which you can get from places like B&Q (you will need 6 of these). Then do the same for the right and left hand corner of the rear screen area, but pull backwards and out from the centre slightly and clamp these in place.

Then head to the front of the car and pull the middle of the headlining tight again and clamp it down. Use the same method as you did for the back for the left and right corners of the screen pull out and away from the centre, this helps pull the cloth tight across the roof.

The starting at the drivers door spray the adhesive to the inside and outside lip and get your helper to pull the cloth tight whilst you press the cloth down to make it adhere to the surface. Whilst your helper is still holding the cloth tight knock on the door seal as this will not only help the cloth stay taught but it will help shape to the lip. Work on a section of about 3-4 inches at a time so you don’t get slack parts in between where you’re pulling.

When you reach a door post or a pillar cut the headliner to shape around them, I tend to use a Stanley knife blade on its own as it’s much easier to control than a full knife, and once again knock on the seals too hold them in place.

Slowly work your way around the car doing around both door frames and both rear quarters, making sure you pull the cloth tight all the time. If you should get to a spot where you can’t seem to get the wrinkles out of the headliner use a heat gun to warm up the material slightly and pull tight and glue in place and knock on the seal, as the material cools the cloth will shrink and pull taught. Once all the door frames and read quarters are glued walk away for the day.

When you come back the following day start by pulling the door seal off and cut the excess material off just shy of where the seal finishes, do the exact same for the rear quarters and then replace the seal back on.

Make your way around to the back of the car and undo the clamps, spray the glue on the inside lip and on the outside one where the window seal will sit, pull the cloth tight in the middle and press the cloth onto the inner edge of the window then replace the clamp in the middle.
At the corners do the same as when you first dry fitted the liner, pull backwards and slightly away from the centre of the roof to keep the tension there, and hold in place with a clamp.
Now do the exact same procedure at the front of the car and then walk away for a couple of hours for the glue to harden, when you return remove the clamps and using your Stanley blade again cut the excess material just shy of the lips where the window seals will sit.

Then sit back and admire your new taught headliner

#3 wouter

wouter

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:51 PM

Thanks a million, this was exactly the story I was looking for!

Will let you know how it worked, and probably how long I had been sitting there to admire the whole thing :proud:

Cheers,
Wouter

Attached Files

#4 Southy

Southy

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:18 AM

No problem at all fella glad i could help

#5 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:16 AM

This should definatly be stickied somewhere?

#6 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:32 AM

Moved to FAQ's. Cheers for the guide Southy! :D

#7 wouter

wouter

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:20 PM

I will give a review when I've fitted it. First I need to make a speaker panel for the parcel shelf, now I still have easy access :D

Cheers,
Wouter

#8 Southy

Southy

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:49 PM

Moved to FAQ's. Cheers for the guide Southy! :thumbsup:

No problem at all cheers for making it an FAQ, was just from my personal experience of doing them and i found this the best way to do it.....

#9 wouter

wouter

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:45 AM

The manual is a GREAT help!
just look at the pic...

Actually it's quite easy to 'iron out' the wrinkles, just pull gently and knock on the seals.
I clamped the front and back with an old doorseal.

Thanks again,
Wouter

Attached Files

Edited by wouter, 06 February 2008 - 08:46 AM.

#10 wouter

wouter

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:48 PM

Here's another picture that proves that this method works!

Tonight I put the mini back on it's wheels after 4 years :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Wouter

Attached Files

#11 Redlight

Redlight

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Local Club: None yet

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:11 AM

Thanks for the instructions too. They were a great help. I cut my old door seals into 3" strips and used them to help clamp the headliner in place while I was working my way around. I was pretty concerned when I started that I wouldn't be able to get all that loose fabric sorted, but in the end it all worked out. Thanks again.

Attached Files

#12 Southy

Southy

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:26 PM

Just had a look back on this thread and im glad i could of been help to you both, as you have both pointed out the results speak for themselves you have done a great job and your headliners look excellent :)

#13 WiredbyWilson

WiredbyWilson

WiredByWilson

• Traders
  • 5,004 posts
  • Local Club: WiredByWilson

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:04 PM

when i did mine it also involved a lot of swearing and cursing as the damn thing kept moving and not sticking as i didnt have enough seals to do it all.

also may i recommend using evo stick glue as it seems to hold firm :P

good job tho guys - i have a few wrinkles in mine but im not tkaing the screens out again!!

#14 Southy

Southy

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:55 PM

also may i recommend using evo stick glue as it seems to hold firm :ph34r:

Its all about personal preference really as to what you use, i used spray adhesive as i had access to it at work due to usuing it to stick carpet tiles down so it was very fast drying stuff, also i think it depends on the material, as some headliners are a plasticy material where as the one i had (Newton Commercial) was a proper fabric material and worked and was held well by the glue......

#15 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

Fitted mine yesterday, forgot the instructions on here, so made it up as I went along! I used "timebond" evo stick glue stuff, worked great, put it on either side and leave for 5 mins, then attach. Even when pulled tight it didn't come undone, I had a load of bulldog clips, but they weren't really needed.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users