KevinBeimers

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local Club: East Coast Minis

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

Good day!

I was wondering if anyone could help me get my Mini back on the road again.

The problem: it’s overfueling, like crazy. Before I brought it in, it was idling at 3000rpm, and it stalled every time I stopped, forcing me to sit in the intersection for 5-10 mins while it de-flooded. On its last trip before Christmas, it burned a quarter tank getting me from my home in Crawfordsburn to my mechanic in Belfast.

Compounded with this, it seems no diagnostic machine can interface with my car, so nobody can pinpoint the problem. One fellow informed me that his machine told him it was the injector, I replaced the injector, still didn’t work, and when I pressed the guy, it turned out his machine didn’t tell him that, he just took a guess.

I’ve tried registering for a handful of Mini forums online, and still waiting for the admins to activate my accounts on all of them… so I apologize for just throwing my problem at you, but I’m looking for an answer anywhere I can get them. If you can recommend anyone with a knack for solving Mini-related problems, I’d surely appreciate it, and I’ll bring the donuts to the next meeting I can drive to (which, unless you have the miracle solution, won’t likely be this Monday).

Thanks for your help,
Kevin Beimers
Mobile 07979726519

PS. It’s a 1996 Rover (body, engine, guts, wiring all 1996), 1.3L, Automatic transmission (surprising!), and the problem is NOT the fuel pump, the fuel pump relay, the single point injector or a sticky throttle cable. Any educated guesses you can give me would help me by leaps and bounds. Thanks again.

#2 DaveRob

DaveRob

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:49 PM

As its SPi I guess this will be moved to Injection soon.......... so have a look in their under coolant temperature sensor....... It could be that very easilly..... does your temp guage go to the midle of the gauge when hot.......... and you do have an 88 deg C themostat dont you........it REALLY inportant

DaveRob

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

As if by Magic, moved to the injection section.

#4 DaveRob

DaveRob

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:04 PM

I though it was moved by DAN................ not by magic.... whoever that is.....heheheheh

#5 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

Yeh, need to get some one with a decent diagnostic to have a look at it.

Coolant temp sensor does look favourite.

#6 ICAM

ICAM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Local Club: smoc

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:17 AM

As its SPi I guess this will be moved to Injection soon.......... so have a look in their under coolant temperature sensor....... It could be that very easilly..... does your temp guage go to the midle of the gauge when hot.......... and you do have an 88 deg C themostat dont you........it REALLY inportant

DaveRob

SPI have two temp sensor, one at the radiator and one at the intake manifold. The radiator goes to the meter gauge while the manifold goes to the ECU. Try check the one at the manifold. If your temp sensor never fix the idling goes hay wire. By the way did U fix the water hose to the intake manifold? it is important to do that as the ECU read the temp to set the corect fuel to be injected.
Also you might reset your TB.

#7 DaveRob

DaveRob

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:59 AM

ummm... their is only one coolant temp sensor and its in the manifold under the throttle body..... its hard enough to see let alone get at. The radiator only has a switch for the electric fan on off..... it wont affect the fueling or ECU. The manifold one goes to the ECU and is a part of the temperature gauge reading as its all interconnected through the ECU. The rad switch is just an on off for the fan. Do a search on CTS here... theirs a long explination

DaveRob

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

DaveRob

SPI have two temp sensor, one at the radiator and one at the intake manifold. The radiator goes to the meter gauge while the manifold goes to the ECU. Try check the one at the manifold. If your temp sensor never fix the idling goes hay wire. By the way did U fix the water hose to the intake manifold? it is important to do that as the ECU read the temp to set the corect fuel to be injected.
Also you might reset your TB.

This is incorrect

There is only one coolant temp sensor, and that feeds the ecu, the ecu then feeds the gauge.

There is another temp sensor, and that is the air temp sensor in the bottom of the air filter. This simply alters the fueling to compensate for the density of the air at different temperatures. It is resposible for fueling changes far less than the coolant temp sensor.

There is nothing to reset on the SPi, you have to do this manualy by adjusting the throttle cable and idle speed screw. The latter NEEDS!! a diagnostic connected.

#9 ICAM

ICAM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Local Club: smoc

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:42 PM

Opps, thousand apology.
Mistakenly with other Japanese model. Dave & Sprocket is right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users