#1 si89

si89

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:08 PM

Hi all.

Thought i'd start a topic on my mini that i'm dropping a R1 engine into.

It will be rear wheel drive,
i'm going to build the rear frame myself.

i've just bought the R1 engine and should be getting in the next few weeks.

i'll put some pics up soon.

#2 Joshmini

Joshmini

I Want To Ride My Bicycle! (Just Not Peddle)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

How much did the engine cost you for all of it.

And get some piccies up!

#3 si89

si89

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:39 PM

How much did the engine cost you for all of it.

And get some piccies up!

yeh i'll get some pics up tomorrow.

i got a 1999 r1 engine for £500 complete with loom, carbs & airbox. everything to it needs to run except the exhaust. pretty good price really.

i'm going to make my own sproket driven diff aswell but don't know if i should use a original mini diff for bits or a diff off a higher powered car. anyone got any ideas? i've got the feeling a R1 engine may destroy the mini diff after a while... any thoughts??

Edited by si89, 25 January 2008 - 09:44 PM.

#4 Joshmini

Joshmini

I Want To Ride My Bicycle! (Just Not Peddle)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:37 AM

Well dont use mini diff, try go for something unusual i dont know though..

And that R1 engine is very cheap! it in good condition like?

#5 si89

si89

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:20 AM

Well dont use mini diff, try go for something unusual i dont know though..

And that R1 engine is very cheap! it in good condition like?

yeh it's in good condition. it was on ebay. just lucky i guess.

i might use a mini diff but use mini spears cross pinion diff.
http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=35941

#6 si89

si89

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:02 PM

here's some pics of the old girl about a week ago. Since then i've removed the front subby and started work on the underside.
paid for my R1 engine on friday so should be getting that next week.
i've also designed the rear hubs/trailing arms but need to find someone with a lathe so i can make them. (anyone got any ideas??)
also i don't know wether to use normal seam welded tube or CDS tube to make my frame. obviously CDS would be much much better and stronger but it costs so much. anyone know where to get it quite cheap.

Attached File  DSC00665.JPG   85.8K   41 downloads
Attached File  DSC00667.JPG   70.43K   38 downloads
Attached File  DSC00668.JPG   63.55K   33 downloads

#7 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:17 PM

I saw on another thread you were considering turbocharging the R1, I would go for something stronger than a mini diff setup something Ford will do and then get custom driveshafts made

CDS is the right stuff for a cage and if your doing any sort of motorsport you should use it, but the ERW is also very strong, I would buy a proper 6 piece Safety Devices frame that is homoligated and then add ERW tubes to it, much quicker and in the end much cheaper if you can buy a second hand frame

Cheers
David

#8 si89

si89

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 04:56 PM

I saw on another thread you were considering turbocharging the R1, I would go for something stronger than a mini diff setup something Ford will do and then get custom driveshafts made

CDS is the right stuff for a cage and if your doing any sort of motorsport you should use it, but the ERW is also very strong, I would buy a proper 6 piece Safety Devices frame that is homoligated and then add ERW tubes to it, much quicker and in the end much cheaper if you can buy a second hand frame

Cheers
David

yeh i would like to turbo the engine. and the diff will be coming off another car thats more powerfull.
do you know anyone with a second hand frame or does any one reading this know of one going cheep??

#9 ludsonline

ludsonline

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:29 AM

Cheers
David

yeh i would like to turbo the engine. and the diff will be coming off another car thats more powerfull.
do you know anyone with a second hand frame or does any one reading this know of one going cheep??

Have a look here Geronimo Cages

#10 matminicity

matminicity

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Local Club: T.M.F

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:25 PM

Geronimo cages are the company who supply Huddersfield Spares. Much cheaper going direct thru Geronimo, but im sure you'll probably get a second hand one cheaper on eBay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users