#1 Manne

Manne

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:21 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a gearbox that been stored i a garage for about than 25years. Its little dirty but otherwise looks like new inside. Due to the seller it should have belonged to a 1275GT but he wasn't 100% sure. Could you please help me identify it? The casting No. is A/BZ 3 22G1832. I checked the ratio by counting the crown- and pinion. It is 63/16 which gives 3.938 in ratio. As what I can see on the internet that was a option for Cooper S only. The box is rod-change type.

I intend to convert my car with this I got Remote gearbox today. Can I put the inside stuff (gears, shafts etc.) in my old shell or should I rebuild the linkage and driveflanges?

Help needed... / Manne

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:23 PM

You got a 69 and you want to start cutting holes in it!

Good on ya!

Anywho, the remote box CAN be fitted inside but you either need a KAD kit to do it or you can try to home brew on. Best off making a hole in the exhaust tunnel bit and doing it the way the factory would on a later car.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:32 PM

Yes the gears will fit in the remote aslong as it's a 4 synchro.... however you will need to use the reverse idler from the remote box...

To find out if it's a GT set, there will be the part number 22G1040 stamped into the laygear between 3rd and 4th, if not a double check is to count the number of teeth on the 1st motion gear ( this is what you may think of being 4th ) 17 teeth it's std ratios, 18 teeth it's a GT set...

The 22G1832 is just a std A series rod change case ( not specifically used on the cooper S ) so it's possible the diff ratio has been changed from either a 3.6 or 3.4 which were used on the GT.

#4 Manne

Manne

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:36 PM

Yes the gears will fit in the remote aslong as it's a 4 synchro.... however you will need to use the reverse idler from the remote box...

To find out if it's a GT set, there will be the part number 22G1040 stamped into the laygear between 3rd and 4th, if not a double check is to count the number of teeth on the 1st motion gear ( this is what you may think of being 4th ) 17 teeth it's std ratios, 18 teeth it's a GT set...

The 22G1832 is just a std A series rod change case ( not specifically used on the cooper S ) so it's possible the diff ratio has been changed from either a 3.6 or 3.4 which were used on the GT.

Okay, I'll be counting in the garage for a while...

Thanks / Manne

#5 Manne

Manne

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

I checked at the Swedish Mini Forum www.hundkoja.com and it seems that the gearbox is from an Allegro, did they have that ratio?

/ Manne

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:01 PM

possible... goes off to check book.....

Book checked...

Yes the allegro 1300 did have a 3.9 final drive... but no it never used the GT gearset..

Edited by GuessWorks.co.uk, 28 January 2008 - 11:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users