15 replies to this topic

#1 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:00 AM

hello ok I DID THE HEAD GASKET! :) it all went so easily, i duno what i was worried about! any way. i think its just be being picy but every now and then the engien will go pf pfff its hard to make a noise over the internet like this :lol: but im sure you know what i mean its like it miss fires but doesant. im totaly bogeld today ile check the manifolds are tight and wire brush the plugs and check the gaps and make sure every thing is where it should be.

#2 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:16 AM

ok had a tinker and cant put my finger on it, tightend up the manifolds, cleaned the plugs and doen the gaps, tried differant ht leads, and checked the rocker clearance and still notihng so i think the timming is off.

#3 Badoff

Badoff

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:36 AM

Have you checked the points? presuming you have some that is.

Other than that take it for a good tune up on a rolling road i know a good one near hastings think he charges about 70 or 80 quid hes good though. Took mine down there after the engine rebuild and he got it up to 72 bhp from about 50. Let me know and i'll dig out his number if you want.

is your engine modified?

#4 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:50 AM

Could it be the carb gasket?

#5 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:13 PM

yea could be sucking in extra air? how does it drive? if there is no power then it could be extra air getting in. Does it rev up fine? Does sound like one of the gaskets on the carb tho.

#6 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:37 PM

I can't really offer advice on the pft-pft-pft noise except to say I'd focus on carb adjustments and looking for air leaks.

I want to point that it is generally a "BAD" idea to wire brush plugs to clean them. What you're trying to do is remove the conductive carbon from the ceramic. When you wire brush them you stand a VERY good chance of replacing the carbon with a thin film of metallic particles from the brush bristles. Even a thin film of metal will conduct and can effectively degrade the performance of your plugs. Grit blast plugs or replace them outright.

#7 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:46 PM

ok thanks for all the advise guys, i think from lookign at the plugs and what people are tellign me that its running to lean, so either a gasket has gone or ive knoked some thing on the carb, i think ive just realised whats happend. the manifold was held up by the carb while the head was off wich would of disturbed the gaskets on the underside and hence why i cant see it! so ile change them tomorrow! i have to what goes where?

#8 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:54 PM

infact! you know the inlet manifold well theres 2 ickle bolts that are down there that are a pain to do up.... i think this could be where the airs leaking in! but ile change the gaskets none the less any tips on how to do them 2 nuts up?

#9 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:58 PM

1/4" drive socket set with a UJ is perfect for them 2 manifold nuts :(

#10 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:04 PM

is there any oil in the carb dash pot after you moved the carb .

#11 Madmax

Madmax

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Local Club: Grimsby & Louth MOC

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:04 PM

agreed bud

#12 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:14 PM

theres oil in the dash pot, im totaly broke so im havign to make do with what tools ive been donated lol ile sort the tool box out its 90% cr@p then ile see what im left with! got loads of 1/2 inch imperial stuff though!

#13 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:06 PM

1/2" is big for getting to thous fidily manifold nuts! u did undo the head bolts in the right order right?

#14 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:49 PM

i managed to do all the manifold nuts with a 1/2 inch jobbie?! Well good luck all the same

#15 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:08 AM

1/2" ratchet with UJ and adapter?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users