11 replies to this topic

#1 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:28 PM

In the near future i am going to replace my cones as they are quite warn now. However i was wondering if it would be worth putting high lows on. I will be keeping the hight the same as if the trumpets where kept on the car. Is there any point in me putting them on or shall i just keep the trumpets?

#2 Badoff

Badoff

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:36 PM

If youre not changing the ride height then i wouldnt really bother I can see no other advantages with hi-los, except they maybe a little easier to get in and out if you screw them right up.

#3 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:57 PM

yeh if ur not going to lower then i would keep the trumpets ebvenm if u wanted to lower it, you can always cut trumpets down, though rememeber ur ridehight will change with new cones! might look a bit high for a while

#4 Jackman

Jackman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:43 AM

I know. Will be better than it is now. if it drops another inch the wheel will be touching the arch lol.

#5 AndyM

AndyM

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:11 PM

I'll be interested to know how you get on. I replaced the front cones on mine 4 weeks ago and there is now 11cm gap from the top of my tyres to the wing. I've done ~500 miles since and there's no sign of it settling down! I've had to wind the headlight beams as far down as they will go, and I'm still getting flashed by oncoming drivers! I think a set of hi-los could be in order too...
Best of luck. Andy.

#6 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:21 PM

If you dont mess around with your height every weekend I suggest you simply cut down your existing trumpets. It's just as good and its free.

Remember to replace all the knuckle joints (one on each trumpet) when changing cones, since the knuckle joints are usually the first suspension component to go...

#7 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:36 PM

hilos will change the spring rate because the bit on the rubber is bigger

#8 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:56 AM

I'm going to cut down a set of trumpets and see what happens soon, will stick a report up once it's done!

#9 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:17 AM

If you cut too much off , you can raise the car up again to your prefered height by adding shims (washers) between the alloy trumpet and the knuckle .
not easy to do at the front without a cone compressor ,
and at the rear requires you to remove the petrol tank .

#10 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 April 2005 - 01:29 PM

My comments echo those of AndyM. I installed new cones and the car sat up like it was on stilts. Some people say that the car will settle fast but my car certainly hasn't. I installed a set of "generic" Hi-Los to correct the problem. I like them and if you can buy them at a reasonable price you won't regret it either. They will allow you to adjust or maintain the ride height where you want no matter what the age or condition of the cones. Yes, you can cut down and (later) shim the trumpets with washers but this is a PITA as you have to remove the trumpets/knuckles to do the job that way.

#11 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 07 April 2005 - 01:59 PM

I got a second set of trumpets of a forum member for £5, so am modifying these then swapping them over. Have spring compressor and some confidence. Should probably replace rubber cones too, but don't want a mini on stilts...

Dave

#12 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:14 PM

only orgigional ajustaride will sriffen up the cone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users