27 replies to this topic

#1 hoggy

hoggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:14 PM

Been working on my mini for a few months now so i thought i would start a project thread! :genius:

I'm doing a bare shell rebuild, and fitting a C16xe - 1.6 16v corsa gsi engine.

This was what my mini used to look like, some of you will probably know it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

It was quite a minter back in the day, but it's not so much now... i started poking a few rust bubbles which have revealed quite a lot of nasty holes! :angel: The list of panels i'll be replacing are:

Scuttle
both A-panels
both sills
both doorsteps
o/side inner wing
drivers sider rear quarter
patches in the floor and rear seat.... apart from that the rest of it's good! :L

I'm going for a mix of classic and modern looks, with mk1 rear lights, bootlid and moustache grille. Keeping the wheels and sportspack arches though. I'll be respraying it silver with a candy orange over the top and a silver/gunmetal roof.

I'll be doing all the work myself.. have bought a mig welder so will need to teach myself to weld first, then i'll move onto getting the body sound, then sort the electrics and mechanicals and then spray it myself aswell hopefully!

Engine spec is:

mantzel powerbox inlet
full ported/polished head
cut back guides shaped into ports, etc
skimmed head/block to up compression
fully rebuilt bottom end all new bearings, gaskets etc(ACL bearings and elring gaskets)
80mm pistons, pocketed to 2mm so can run large cams
lightened flywheel/helix clutch
ashley 4-1 manifold.group N system(has approx 150-200miles tops)
CR box, standard ecu/loom

Should be good for about 130bhp hopefully.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm upgrading the wiring and have an mpi wiring loom and fusebox to fit, aswell as mpi steering column and stalk... as this will be my daily driver when it's done so i want it to be as reliable as possible!

Interior i'm going to make myself, have bought a roll of silver and a roll of black vinyl, so will make a custom dash, doorcards etc.

Lot's of pics to come when i get a minute....!

#2 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

What will you be using for a subframe, the allspeed one?

Looks like its going to be really nice when it's done. Good list of modifications for the engine too. Which CR box are you looking at using as most people tend to use the wide ratio boxes if they can to keep the revs down.

#3 hoggy

hoggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

Yeah using the allspeed subframe :teehee: I'm going to be changing the box to a wide ratio F15, it's a F15cr that's in it just now.

#4 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

Yeah I have the same at the mo, need to get round to getting a wide box.

Looking at the set up you will have, you should eaily reach 130bhp. I know you have the pistons pocketed, is this for a cam upgrade in the future or now?

Hurry up and get some more pics up! This project is very similar to mine :thumbsup:

#5 hoggy

hoggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

I have loads of pics... just need to find time to put them online :thumbsup: ...

Not looking to do a cam upgrade, as i think i will be happy with the power for just now. And if i do want more power it will be an easy upgrade later on with the pocketing done.

I'll try and get some pics asap mate, been looking at your project mate.. it will be mint when it's done. Have you got much left to do?
What are you doing about an exhaust manifold? I'm not sure if the 4-1 manifold i've got will clear a standard front ;D

#6 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:23 PM

I have a specially fabricated one, the one that Rob at Allspeed used on his demo car. In not sure if the one you have will fit.

Have you ordered you subframe yet? Are you going for the bottom arms and tie rods too?

Iv not been able to work on my recently, I'm in my final year of uni you see and the cars 200 miles away which makes it rather difficult. Got most of the welding done though, just need to get it all mocked up before I get it sprayed next, though I am using my Allspeed subframe and engine in my dissertation which is also holding things up a little.

If you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask.

#7 hoggy

hoggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:56 PM

Tell me about it.. it seems as if i never get time to work on mine either mate.

Yeh i have the subframe already, not sure about bottom arms and tie rods yet... don't really wan't to spend 300 on the allspeed ones, have been looking at rose jointed ones from minispares, minispeed, minisport and mra. They all seem roughly the same and come in at about £150 but i'm unsure whether they will fit the allspeed frame?

Do you know what inner CV's i need to use for the conversion? as the engine i got doesn't have any fitted.

I'll not know if the manifold fits until i get it all mocked up.. would save a lot of hassle if it does. >_<
Will you be fitting a CAT to your exhaust? Also what kind of rad will you be using?

It's good to talk to someone doing the same conversion :lol:

Edited by hoggy, 12 February 2008 - 08:57 PM.

#8 marc

marc

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:45 PM

You use the vauxhall inner cv's, astra, corsa etc, i believe they are the same on most of the petrol models, as long as they have the same box as your using they'll fit, obviously.

I'm also doing one of these, over the last 2 years!! Shameful really, but i will get it done one day! Be good to see if your inlet will fit.

I wont be using a cat, if your mini wasnt fitted with one as standard it wont need one to pass an mot. Rad- what ever i find that'll fit, some honda rads are nice and compact with expansion tank etc built in, just going to look around scrappies and see what i find to be honest.

#9 hoggy

hoggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:54 PM

Yeah the honda half rads look really good, something like this would be good http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheep too!

I'm just goin to mock everything up then see what space i have left, then go to the scrappy and measure up a few rads.

What size fuel lines are you guys using? 8mm?

#10 NudgerSS

NudgerSS

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:24 PM

This is a mod I am looking at now. I have a Spi Cooper and was wondering if the pump will be up to the job or if I am better off going for an Mpi tank? Although I do have a standard tank lying around so suppose I could use that with a Facet pump or similar but just thought it might save me some hassle.

Hoping to go down to Allspeed sometime soon for a gander. Only up the M1 in Chesterfield so pretty local

#11 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:22 PM

You will need the MPi pump or one from an astra, they are simple to fit. The Vauxhall engines require 3 bar of pressure, I think the Mpi is 1 or 1.5bar

#12 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:23 PM

Hoggy, I think you would be able to get the startard sort of mini sport roase joinded bottom arms to fit. the only difference I can see is the size of the spherical joint. Infact I have some kciking about at the mo, I shall take some pics tomorrow to show the difference and how they fit etc.

#13 hoggy

hoggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 04:54 PM

Cheers buddy that would be great :thumbsup:

#14 hoggy

hoggy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:43 PM

Stripping shell down.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Boot floor and arches are in good condition.

Edited by hoggy, 14 February 2008 - 11:52 PM.

#15 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 11:48 PM

As wanted here are the pics of the allspeed and minisport rose jointed bottom arms :wub:

I believe you could use the minisport, or other ones, you would just have to get a bolt that fits and some large shims made up on a lathe to fill the gap as seen in the pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bolt diameter.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you need any more pics or measurements at all then let me know. Hope some of these are of good use for you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users