15 replies to this topic

#1 Arfur Lager

Arfur Lager

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

i have a 1997 1275i mini,ive just had part of the exhaust replaced due to the back box blowing.
the old box (the back one of the two) was qiute wide ,have just looked under and the new piece has two rather narrow boxes !
as you can tell im clueless really,so was just wanting confirmation this is correct ,and if not that its ok.

#2 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

the rover standard mpi exhaust system (if it was intro'd in 1996) did indeed have a wider, non-cilindrical black coloured rear box, with the primary silencer being your usual cylinder shapped silver thing. When rover gave up the mini, these didn't make it through to the continued stock... you cannot for love or money find them new.

#3 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:21 AM

Mine came with a twin box peashooter which sounds like it's the same as yours, it's from cat back and appears to be what the garages use to replace exhaust systems on MPIs. The standard exhaust system on late models should have a chrome tip, this one doesn't. It could be the exhaust system they used on the SPi, as that has a cat as well.

If you do want to replace it with a proper standard MPi system, your best bet is a second hand one on Ebay.

This is a standard MPi exhaust...

Posted Image

This is the peashooter exhaust mine came with...

Posted Image

Edited by Mini_Magic, 12 February 2008 - 09:31 AM.

#4 minicb

minicb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Local Club: south-central-mini-club.com

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:50 AM

Yep I has the same problem for my 1999 mpi I found I couldn’t get a new back box .. that was three years ago now .. So I just fitted a standard replacement back box that fit's both spi & mpi, that we got from our local exhaust place

Mini_Magic that is the same peashooter i got got for my mpi lol

Edited by minicb, 12 February 2008 - 09:53 AM.

#5 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:50 AM

This is a standard MPi exhaust...

Posted Image

I think that only came with the Sportspack MPis, MM. Non Sportspacks came with the peashooter type, I fink. ;D

If someone wants one of the chrome tail pipe trims for the standard sportspack exhaust, I have one sitting in my cellar looking for a home...... :thumbsup:

#6 minicb

minicb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:13 PM

Mmmm I think u are wrong as my mpi is not a Sportspack and it come with the MPi exhaust in that pic

#7 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:23 PM

Mmmm I think u are wrong as my mpi is not a Sportspack and it come with the MPi exhaust in that pic

From new? :thumbsup:

#8 minicb

minicb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:25 PM

From new? :thumbsup:

Yes

Edited by minicb, 12 February 2008 - 12:26 PM.

#9 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:28 PM

I believe that all MPi Minis came with those exhaust systems as there were no poverty spec MPi Minis, only the Cooper, Cooper Sport, Mini 40 etc.

As I said above, I think the peashooter exhaust is from the SPi models as garages are too cheap to order in a MPi exhaust when replacing an exhaust system.

Edited by Mini_Magic, 12 February 2008 - 12:32 PM.

#10 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

I stand sit corrected. :thumbsup:

#11 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:23 PM

I believe that all MPi Minis came with those exhaust systems as there were no poverty spec MPi Minis, only the Cooper, Cooper Sport, Mini 40 etc.

As I said above, I think the peashooter exhaust is from the SPi models as garages are too cheap to order in a MPi exhaust when replacing an exhaust system.

the peashooter is whats listed for mpi's in the big pile of parts books i have at work. the other style is available, but nobody keeps them in stock and theyre not cheap.

#12 Arfur Lager

Arfur Lager

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:48 PM

cheers guys ! was a bit concerned it may not have been adequate and may affect or damage the performance, but seems to be commonplace.

#13 elvisthepizzaman

elvisthepizzaman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Local Club: Minis of the Rockies

Posted 14 February 2008 - 03:30 AM

I was under there recently and noticed that the rear box was rotting away from the outside. when I get some time I am going to fabricate a sheet metal cover to go over the existing one if it ever completely fails since I cant imagine how difficult it would be to acquire over here in the states.

#14 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:10 PM

I was under there recently and noticed that the rear box was rotting away from the outside. when I get some time I am going to fabricate a sheet metal cover to go over the existing one if it ever completely fails since I cant imagine how difficult it would be to acquire over here in the states.

bin the standard mild steel one, and fit a stainless steel one instead, looks nicer, lasts ages etc. go for something along the lines of an RC40 style if you want it to look standard and sound fairly quiet. will make a slight difference to the performance too.

#15 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

and better MPG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users