2 replies to this topic

#1 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 05:58 AM

Okay I've been having a lot of problems with my engine lately.

It's a 1.3 Metro lump.
It used to have a poorly set up Weber downdraft carb, but it ran with it. Problem was it would bog down when revving (it was too rich)

I decided to change it to a HS4 setup, so I did. Changed manifold and carb and started the car.

It idles fine on choke, wants to die without it, and often dies at a traffic light.

At first it wouldnt rev, it would just stutter if you pressed throttle down completely. I leaned out the mixture a bit and it got a bit better, but still happens when driving.

When driving there is absolutely no low end power. If clutch is released below like 3-4k rpm, the whole car will shake and stutter because it doesnt have power!!!!! I have to keep it high RPM all the time!

Second problem I noticed is this: If I take the leads off (one at a time) the two spark plugs at either end of the engine (1 and 4), the engine stutters noticeably.. However if I take the leads of either of the two centre plugs there is hardly any difference in idle. I thought they might be the wrong way round but this is not the case!!

Third problem is my idle speed constantly changes.. It idles and every few seconds revs up a bit (not a lot) and then goes back. Could my carb need oil?

Finally the engine developed a really ticky noise on idle. I am completely stumped by this, since the timing was not advanced from before and yesterday I filled her up with some Super Leaded petrol... It seems to go away when I rev it up (but I think thats because the exhaust note overpowers it ). Could it simply be that something is vibrating in my engine bay?

#2 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 09 February 2004 - 09:19 PM

Sounds like you got the wrong profile needle in it mate, are you usin a standard metro needle, or is it one for a mini??

Could also be that the weber runnin so rich has washed the bores and f**ked the rings...

#3 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 09:35 PM

Some of those symptoms could be caused by an air leak in the inlet after the carb .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users