5 replies to this topic

#1 sean

sean

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 11:03 AM

Ok here it is, put my fuel tank back in after welding the boot floor, had a tiny bit of fuel in it so I started the motor. Tons of black smoke came out of the exhaust untill it ran out of petrol. Do you think that this was dirty old fuel burning (would it cause black smoke?). It never did this before the tank was removed.. Possible that dust etc got into the tank when it was out and standing in the garage.
:lol:

#2 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 09 April 2005 - 11:48 AM

is it possible that its oil or something burning off the exhaust? if its an electric pump is the return pipe ok?

#3 sean

sean

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 12:18 PM

The inside of the exhaust tip is very black inside, comes off on your fingers. It's a mechanical fuel pump

#4 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 02:53 PM

sounds like its running rich - you didnt adjust the carb or touch anything under the bonnet did you? One random idea MIGHT be that if youre welding grinding etc a lot of dust 'n' C**p goes round in the air, this could block the air filter when the engine starts resulting in it running v rich. A very long shot tho i think!! Or maybe some of the dust and grit got in the fuel tank?
Or if its been standing for a while could be oil leaking into combustion chambers past worn valve oil seals or guides, altho id've thought this would give bluer smoke.
in other words, no idea :grin:

#5 sean

sean

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 10:47 AM

So blue smoke is the bad stuff ? mine is definatley black

yes I have produces alot of dust recently, How should I clean the air filter ?, should I clean the carby out and if so how ?

thanks

#6 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 10 April 2005 - 11:14 AM

if its a paper filter just buy a new one :smartass:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users