12 replies to this topic

#1 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:33 AM

I know it's probably the wrong time of night to be worrying about this, but it's just occured to me that on that austin-rover site someone put a link too (thanks by the way!) it suggests the A+ engines were only 998 and 1275cc.
According to the V5, and everything ive heard up to now, my 1980 clubman is a 1.1 but it blatantly has an A+ (ribs on block, weird dipstick hole), can this be? or is this likely to be a later 1.0 engine (I think they made the change from a to a+ in 1980 and the clubby in question is a june 1980 car). The engine no in the V5 is a very suspicious-sounding "-247937". Begins with a minus sign?!? But the one on the block face sticky-out bit begins 10H which i thought was for the 1098cc's.
With just a stg1 kit it feels v. fast for a 1.0, and faster than my other clubby 1.1 a series. Has the removsl tappett covers tho so not a 1.3.
CONFUSION!! :lol:
Any ideas?

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:44 AM

I couldn't give you a definite answer other than to say maybe someone re-bored it and actually told the DVLA?!

#3 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:54 AM

perhaps but in that case wouldnt the engine number on the V5 begin "10H..." rather than being "-247937"???

#4 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:53 AM

no the engine number is just the last 6 numbers on the plate.

the first set of letters tell you what the engine is.

cant say why someone has put a - before the number though, but check the number against the number in the car, if it is differant you need to change your V5

#5 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:01 AM

I think the last few 1098's did come in A+ rather than A format. I know that some companies now will also offer you a rebuilt 1098 A+ in exchange for an A.

So it sounds like you've got a pretty rare engine there! If the number starts in 10H, and it has ribs on the block, but removable tappet covers, it definitely sounds like a 1098 A+.

Have you got any pics of it?

#6 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 11:59 AM

hey youre right the 6 digits on the v5 are the same as those on the engine, its just on my other minis the 10h or 99h etc at the start have always been written on as well, instead of this weird minus thing:

#7 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:00 PM

i mean this

Attached Files

#8 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:01 PM

And heres the engine,

Attached Files

#9 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:03 PM

you should be able to see the ribs in that last pic, its block is definitely different to the one in my 77 clubby which doesnt have the ribs. So i guess a 1.1 A+ does exist? wonder how many of them there are and if it has rarity value?

#10 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:50 PM

my first clubman was an a+ 1098! it was right at the end of their run!

#11 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 April 2005 - 01:23 PM

As Mini84 says, the very last of the clubmans ( especially the estates which were produced for a year longer than the saloon ) came with an 1098 A+ engine, but there's technically not much difference between that and a A series.

#12 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 02:18 PM

As Guessworks syas, the last couple of years os Clubman & Clubman Estate production used the 1098 A+ motor. The only difference between the 1098 and the 998 is the stroke of the crank and the crown height of the pistons (to compensate for the extra stroke). Oh yeah, and the engine number! Rare, but not that rare.

I'd send your V5 back with the full engine number on so they can change it for you to avoid confusion in the future. Why the registering dealership left the prefix off, who knows.

#13 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:06 PM

ok cool thanks for that...now i feel SpEcIaL!! :lol: maybe someone slightly more pedantic than me should point this out to the guys at that austin-rover.co.uk site?
anyway thanks again for the infos, ill hold back with the v5 at the sec because im switching engines so much its like musical chairs at the mo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users