roverlander

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Local Club: SWAC

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:21 PM

Hi

I have been given an engine which i am in the process of stripping and checking before fitting into my Innocentti cooper. What i require ius some idea of what I have please.

The engine block is cast with AEG 312 on block, it also has AEG 635 punched onto one of the casting webs and a 1275 embossed tab on the back of the engine.

The crank has AEG316 EN40B cast into it and 1811 stamped on one of the webs. I understand from the gent who gave me the engine that it may require a regrind - what is the maximum that can be removed from the crank. The pistons are cooper AEG 512 and have steel end caps fitted,
The cam is stamped 290 which I believe is a full race cam, and the head has had a full stage 3 workover.

Does this sound like something decent ?

Many thanks

#2 ginigwunkle

ginigwunkle

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Local Club: sheffield mini club

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:58 PM

AEG316 1275cc - Cooper S, EN40B forging, Nitrided, 1.625" dia. big ends, non-cross drilled

you can get +20 oversize bearings or you can get bigger ones made up if needed, depends what its like though.

sounds ok yeah.

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:02 PM

Block casting numbers generally mean nothing. You need to know the engine number, this is stamped into a tag rivetted to the top of the block by the alternator mounting. However there are some specific blocks that have definite casting numbers and this may be one of them but myself I don't know what to look for in that respect. Does it have tappet chest covers?

The crank casting number indicates an EN40B Cooper S crankshaft without cross drillings (as standard, it may have been machined later). 1811 doesn't mean anything. How much can be taken off it depends on what bearings you can get hold of to fit the new size. You'll need to know exactly what rods and block you have with this crank and if anything needs doing to them before you know exactly what bearing oversizes are available.

#4 roverlander

roverlander

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

Thanx

Dan - it does have tappet chest covers but does not have the usual riveted on plate at the top of the block.

Crank will need a regrind so need to look for a good machine shop near Cardiff area ?

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

All the signs are that you have a Cooper S engine.

#6 roverlander

roverlander

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:40 PM

Thanx Dan - that sounds like it should be good news !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users