#1 TrialsLife

TrialsLife

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Local Club: BAD MC

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:50 PM

I have a pair of vented metro turbo calipers for sale and one person interested needs the solid disk type.

Would I be right in saying that there is a spacer in the calipers that can be removed to convert them to the solid type, the same as the alloy ones that mini shops sell?

I can see a spacer in between the two halfs just have no idea if its "meant" to come out.

Cheers,

Kyle.

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:15 AM

Splitting calipers is a bad idea, personally I would never buy a pair of second hand calipers that I thought had been split at home. AP calipers are assembled in a jig that makes certain both sides are dead square to each other and parallel so that they clamp evenly on the disc. Without the jig and new bolts and without knowing the proper torque value (which I don't believe has ever been published) there is no way to know if they are assembled properly. I'm also not certain that the machining would be right to enable the distance piece to be removed as these calipers were never designed to be altered. I know people have split calipers at home and had no apparent trouble as a result but it's not something I'd be happy with. If you sell someone modified calipers then you will be responsible for anything that goes wrong with them. If whoever buys them wants to try modifying them then that's up to the buyer.

Edited by Dan, 25 February 2008 - 12:16 AM.

#3 JetBLICK

JetBLICK

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Local Club: myspace.com/worcesterretro

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:16 AM

yea it can be, you need different seals to seal the two halves together tho - and by that i dont mean 'you should change them', i mean they are different, so you need smaller ones

#4 TrialsLife

TrialsLife

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Local Club: BAD MC

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

Cheers for the replys guys. I'll let him know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users