91 replies to this topic

#16 marc

marc

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:33 PM

Big shame, they've made some nice cars in the past, quite like a lot of there cars even with dubious reliability.

#17 minimadmatt

minimadmatt

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:48 PM

does this mean our cars will become worth more?, because there makers are no more so less parts are availble etc.

#18 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:09 PM

I doubt it, mayb in a decade or so, if minis start becoming really rare? I don't think many mini spares were being manufactured by Rover anyway?

#19 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:19 PM

i blame the government!!

not this current govenment though....have a look when Rover started to go down hill......what was it 92ish??

CONSERVSTIVES!!

i know it was after thatcher, but she f**ked over the working class, and the car industry's assembley side is part of that!

i now major was not as bad, but even so he didnt do anything to save them!

its too late for the current labour govenment to do anything!

i cant understand why anyone is even considering voting conservative in the up and coming election!

#20 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:22 PM

I doubt it, mayb in a decade or so, if minis start becoming really rare? I don't think many mini spares were being manufactured by Rover anyway?

well i went into my rover dealership on thursday to try and get interior material (the equinox pattern) and you cant get it you can only buy the seats and trim, directly from Rover!

this has always been the case he said!

the man said if i want it i need to get it ASAP because he has no idea what will happen when all Rover cars are sold and the dealerships shut down!

so yes......my interior has gone up in price :P

#21 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:30 PM

Well, this is my attempt at trying to keep things non-political...

I don't really know how the government has messed about with Rover because I wasn't there, I have never worked for Rover, so I don't know. However I won't be voting Tory simply because I don't like the look of Howard and don't believe they will be any better than Labour.

I also don't agree with half the stuff Labour has done whilst they've been in power, so I won't be voting for them either.

Now what does that leave me with, Lib Dems, I don't think so, UKIP or the green party?!

So what to do, what to do....

Jammy Basturd for PM!!!

#22 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:50 PM

Hang on, we can't purely blame others, What about everyone who's been buying Peugeots, Citroens, VW's, etc, etc.
You can't say you support MG Rover now when you've been buying from elsewhere, no matter how cruddy the cars were, I remember the Buy British campaign...!

Sorry but disagree totally...

Pug's are made in Coventry, Nissan's in Sunderland, Vauxhall's in Luton, etc.. etc.. etc... and if Rover had been supported by The Chinese Motor company, would you have boycotted them ?

The reason they've gone under is no investment in new models. Mr Rep does not want a car the same as his last one without some new cup holders.

I don't disagree with the "Buy British" sentiment when it comes to fresh produce, meat etc etc

#23 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 02:03 PM

no investment in new models

very true

the 25s, and 45s were just face lifted versions of the 200 and 400s.

#24 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:55 PM

yes buy brittish :cry:

im all for that :P TVR please :P

#25 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:26 PM

yes buy brittish :cry:

im all for that :P  TVR please :P

Thought you said British? :lol:

TVR is now Russian

#26 MiniMoi

MiniMoi

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:28 PM

I know it kind of sucks for the people that worked there and it sucks that the parts we are able to find will be more limited now. But otherwise, well the latest of their cars were not exactly what I would call the best and most reliable cars in the world. Sad MG has to go with it though.

One of you said that it was a bad thing to put honda engines in them. I have to disagree, that was very sensible step it kinda made the Rover's a lot a better.

MiniMoi

#27 Sam

Sam

Wish i was in T.O.W.I.E

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:31 PM

Hang on, we can't purely blame others, What about everyone who's been buying Peugeots, Citroens, VW's, etc, etc.
You can't say you support MG Rover now when you've been buying from elsewhere, no matter how cruddy the cars were, I remember the Buy British campaign...!

dave youve taken the words out or my mouth! its ll teh cheep scates buying peugotes and other crud french cars, and importign cars to as there cheap scates. i think it is very bad, we have 2 classics in the family now, silber and dads ZR!

Maybe they just want a better, more reliable car rather then some tarted up 1990's Rover 200?

#28 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:42 PM

I never said it was a bad thing, I think Japanese engines are excellent, but you can't say Buy British, buy Rover if half the car is Japanese.

And I don't really see TVR as a Russian company now, just because the guy who owns it is Russian. Suppose the guy who owned Ferarri was half Welsh, would you say that Ferrari is half Welsh?!

#29 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:46 PM

What about Chelsea ???

lol

#30 mattvallins

mattvallins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:38 PM

*Wants to buy British, the only one I can think of is the ariel Atom, built in Somerset :grin: *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users