8 replies to this topic

#1 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:35 PM

Before I final assemble my 1400, Im not sure whether to fit a light weight flywheel. I want extreme acceleration more than anything but im not sure whether they are worth the money. Im talkin of a propper light weight flywheel not a modified one as these can explode :nugget: Do they really make a big difference or not?
Ill be putting an AP paddle clutch on it as well to cope with the power so im not really bothered about the drivability.

Any help will be a big help as I really want get it sorted by the end of the month.

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:01 PM

Ultralight flywheel, with steel lighten back plate

Posted Image

:P

See this topic, Clutches

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:09 PM

If you're after acceleration, that's exactly what lightening the flywheel is for. Every pound off the flywheel is worth about 80 off the car in first gear.

Standard flywheels can be safely lightened to some extent without exploding, but if you want serious weight loss then you need a steel or alloy one as you said. The KAD one is great, made of alloy with the friction surface plasma hardened. And it pretty much lasts forever as you can have the plasma coat re-applied every time it wears down, where with a steel one it can only be re surfaced so many times before it becomes scrap.

#4 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:18 PM

So do you recon they are worth the cash or not? I mean ive never drove a car with a lightened flywheel so i dont know what to expect if I do. Would it make a considderable difference?

#5 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:30 PM

So whats the crack when it come to actually driving it then? Ive got a sports rally camshaft and I suppose this will amplify the lumpiness of it would it?

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:32 PM

Will tell you when I've got it in, but we had a 1380 in the club running an ultra light with a 296, and that was swift of the mark !

As Dan says above, it's like super slimming world for your engine.

#7 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:56 PM

Nice one, itll be nice to hear of the results from yours. Ive just heard of a flywheel thats rather different from Lynx Racing. It has a different starter motor and apparently the flywheel is titch. When I get some info on it ill put it down on here. Thanks for the info boys.

#8 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:38 AM

I have no problems with my ultralight flywheel and 286 scatter cam. Bags of torque. Takes off like a rocket. Pig of a tickover tho.

#9 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:49 AM

A mate of mine had an ultra light f/w, was very quick on acceleration, but if you slowed down too quick the engine lost its momentum created by the flywheel and it had a habit of stalling at tick-over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users