18 replies to this topic

#1 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:37 AM

Hilp. I've finally got off my arse to try and sort out the rear subframe on my Clubby. I have the type of subframe where there is 8 bolts, 2 at each corner. The top bolt on the drivers side, the one that goes into the sill, is just turning round, no matter which way you turn it. Now I've been told that a nut is welded to the other side of the sill?! So is it this that has seperated from the cill and means I can't take the bolt out? If it is, I'm guessing that mean I have to either take the sill off or cut a hole in it?! I have looked but theres no way to get to it from under the seat or through the pockets!!!

#2 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:43 AM

it might just be that the thread has stripped on the bolt. undo all the other bolts, and see if you can lever the subframe away from the body, which will pull the bolt through the nut, as theres no thread left on it. this is more likely than the nut coming off.
Leonard

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:47 AM

you could cut the top of the bolt off and push it through then you could remove the subframe.
then cut a small hole where the nut should be remove the old nut and bolt and weld a new plate back in with a new nut welded on to it , this means its all hiden out of sight when the subframes back on :smartass:

never tryed this just trying to be a smartass :P

#4 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:00 AM

Its normally held in by a captive nut welded inside the sill. You need to either cut a hole in the sill or cut the sill welds and fold it back. Undo the nut and bolt, replace subframe, do new well greased nut and bolt up, and then reweld sill into place, or patch hole.
My car has a circular hole in the rear of each sill with a plug in it, so that next time it shouldn't be such a problem! :grin:
Oh, make sure to fully waxoil it again afterwards, otherwise your sill will rot like a banana in a bog.

Dave

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:04 AM

Already taken the other bolts off to try and lever it out, its just not working!! I quite like 998Daves idea of a hole in each side with a plug in it, seems like thats the easiest solution.

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:14 AM

All rear subframes have two bolts in each corner!
Take off the trailing arm where the problem is and remove the subframe pin. Then you can get the frame out and work on the trunnion on it's own which is a lot easier. With the frame off you can always cut the trunnion, they are cheap as chips
Your car should not pass an MOT if you go cutting holes in sills around subframe mountings and not seam welding a plate back in afterwards (like if you leave a plug there instead), it's too close to the suspension mountings and it's the sill!
You should be able to get to it from inside the pocket Jammy, have another look.

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:28 AM

Ok, what are you calling the trunnion? Inside my rear pocket the bolt inside what I am guessing is the inner sill?!

#8 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:41 AM

Should not pass if the hole is weakening the structure, is a small rounded hole with a suitable plug.
Well, it's passed the last three years and the sills have come under some close scrutiny... oh well...

#9 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:49 AM

I'm a bit lost with whats dan is saying can you try again for us simple people

#10 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:38 PM

I cut a hole in the inside pocket of mine and folded the metal back. It was just big enough to get a couple of fingers in. I took the old nut out and replaced it with a new one, tacking it in place once the subframe was tightened up. Then just fold the flap of metal back over and tack it into place. Good thing about doing it in the pocket is that no one can see it and its in the dry too so won't rust.

#11 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:47 PM

I'm calling the trunnion the trunnion strangely enough! :P

The trunnion is the cast lump of metal which holds the subframe to the car. It's not part of the subframe, it's seperate. Once you remove the radius arm there is a large nut behind it which holds the trunion to the subframe. Remove the nut and the support pin will pull out of the side of the subframe and you will be able to get it off the car with the trunnion still attached so that you can attack that on it's own. Very much easier, and as I said you can always cut the trunnion if you need to.

What I said about getting to it through the pocket was just to access the nut inside the heel board. Sorry if I caused confusion. Remember you don't need to be able to see the nut to get to it, just feel it or get a socket to it.

Also if you decide to cut the trunnion and bolt off, you can poke a magnet on a stick into the pocket to pull the dead nut out.

No offence meant about MOTs, we all know that they are a bit of a lottery and what one centre will pass another would just laugh at. I just meant that if the rules are followed to the letter then a car with lumps cut out of the sill shouldn't pass unless other strengthening is fitted, whether it's a neat round hole or just rotten. There shouldn't really be advise given on here which will make a car less legal or might get someone into bother, it's in the rules.

#12 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:52 PM

Ahh, thought that was the trunnion by what you said, just wanted to make sure. Ok, I'm with you all the way up to getting to the bolt. Inside the pocket. there is simply no way of getting to the bolt, unless I cut a strip out of the inner sill (if thats what it is).

#13 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:57 PM

" I'm calling the trunnion the trunnion strangely enough! " Dan, you kill me !

Our inspections over here aren't as tough as your MOTs. Would the plate idea proposed by Bungle not work if you seam welded the plate all around as Dan suggested? I'd think you'd want it seam welded all around anyway for strength... this is a load bearing point. I'd also think you'd want to put an equal thickness plate on the other side just as a spacer so you don't introduce alignment (crabbing) problems. Still... this sounds like a more cosemetically appealing idea than cutting open companion boxes and sills.

Could this be done or would it introduce more MOT issues?

#14 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:01 PM

****Suddenly realises there are different designs of closing plate used in the bottom of the companion bin, maybe this car has a diferent on......****

Ok, so maybe your car is a different age to the one I was thinking of. There is a closing plate inside the companion bin to stop things falling insde the sill. It's not part of the inner sill and doesn't do much (and as Blue said, no-one can see it any way) Sometimes the plate has a hole in the middle and sometimes it doesn't. I'll go and check my own car in a bit to check on it.

#15 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:25 PM

Looks like I'll be wacking a huge hole in this closing plate then, unless anyone sees a problem with this?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users