#16 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:15 PM

It doesnt have to be a huge hole, I used a sharp 1" bolster chisel and and made a neat hole an inch square (only cutting on 3 side) then folded it back on the forth.
If you cut the head of the bolt off on the outside of the car, you can get the rest thru this hole you made on the inside, or if your not bothered about it - leave it in the sill to rattle around and annoy you.
I thought about cutting the outer sill to get to mine, but was concerned about the weakness it might cause and the fact that you will be able to see that its been cut after its been welded back up. Doing it from the inside takes about 5 mins, its easy.

The pic below shows were you need to cut, but as you can see, this one has had the rear pockets removed, but its still the same idea.

You want to cut the top bit, not the side.

Attached Files

#17 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:55 PM

Ahh, cheers bluemini, that helps loads. Will try that next time I have a spare few minutes.

#18 B1ondini

B1ondini

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:57 PM

Hi,
Had a similar probem with mine a few weeks ago, only my bottom subframe mounting bolts had both sheared off!

Luckily for me, there was a large enough hole in the rear panel above the sill thanks to our friend the tin worm!

All I did was use a punch to push the remains of the old (well coroded) mounting bolt and captive nut into the sill, cut the coroded section out of the side panel to gain access, then placed a new nut and bolt into the hole and tacked the nut into place. Following that, I welded a new piece of plate in the side panel, ground the weld flat, filled it and sprayed it up to finish the job off. You can hardly tell any work has been done!

I know this method may be a bit drastic but it helps to get rid of any rot on the side panel that you may have.

Cheers,
Blondini.

#19 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:12 PM

That's exactly what I did on my 72, there's no way I was doing anything to the sill which is still the original one, opened up a little flap in the bin, and put in a new bolt, then stuck the flap back down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users