Photo

Is It Legal To Drive With A Broken Wrist?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:38 AM

Well i broke my wrist whilst i was snowboarding and now im not sure how legal it is for me to drive me car. I had a search on google, but i couldnt find much about it.

I have driven my car around fields to see if everything would be ok and it all feels good, but i just wanted to know if its legal to drive on the road with a cast on my wrist?

#2 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:42 AM

Well i broke my wrist whilst i was snowboarding and now im not sure how legal it is for me to drive me car. I had a search on google, but i couldnt find much about it.

I have driven my car around fields to see if everything would be ok and it all feels good, but i just wanted to know if its legal to drive on the road with a cast on my wrist?

I know a guy who only has one arm and still drives a manual car (legally), he steers with his knees while changing gear!!! >_<

So, yes I reckon it's legal. But inform your insurance company just to be on the safe side.... they will try to wangle out of anything in the event of a claim and using a broken arm as an excuse would be perfect for them........

#3 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:48 AM

Erm, probably not.
If stopped you might be booked for not being fit to drive, or not being in total control of the car.
Also, won't a broken wrist impair your ability to take evasive action if necessary?

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:48 AM

Also, make sure it is definitely safe for you to drive, and by that I mean you have full control at all times. If you think you're going to be struggling at any point, I'd say that its probably not worth it.

#5 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:52 AM

I'd be worried about stopping the wrist from healing too (too much strain on the bones). A friend of mine removed his cast too soon so he could go back to work, but now needs surgery to fix it as the bones didn't heal properly....... >_<

Like I said before though, you'd be amazed at how many things are legal. Speak to your insurance company and possibly give the DVLA a ring, they'll know about physical impairments and what is and isn't legal, I have to inform them of any changes to my medical conditions each year....

#6 Angelic_Fruitcake

Angelic_Fruitcake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:53 AM

When Mr Fruitcake cracked a rib, he was told by the hospital that if he was driving and had an accident, then his insurance would be void because he was going against medical advice, and also would be unable to react and take action quickly enough. Same when I broke my toe (but that was too painful to drive anyway).

Check with the insurance people as Amy says, but until then I don't think it's worth the risk...

Edited by Angelic_Fruitcake, 04 March 2008 - 09:54 AM.

#7 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:56 AM

It's all down to the particluar insurance company though!

My other half had a bone tumour and had his little toe half his foot removed a couple of years ago... the hospital said to start driving as soon as he felt like it!! I also have poly-arthritis, which on some days makes me totally incapable of driving, but everyone knows about it and I have insurance and drive perfectly legally >_<

#8 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:56 AM

Cheers everyone, i just phoned up the insurance and the guy there said this if i personally feel safe to drive then its fine, so im going to get that sent out in writing and then when iv got that ill start driving again.

#9 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:58 AM

Cheers everyone, i just phoned up the insurance and the guy there said this if i personally feel safe to drive then its fine, so im going to get that sent out in writing and then when iv got that ill start driving again.

Good plan batman..... >_<

I hope it heals quickly and isn't giving you too much bother! :o

#10 miniT

miniT

Puts the 'Bum' Into Bumpstart!

• Members
  • 2,021 posts
  • Local Club: Bumpstart Mini Club

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

If the doc/hospital has advised you not to drive then you won't be covered, my mans bro just broke his ankle and hes allowed to drive (not his manual - but he can drive Andrews auto!)

Hope you feel better soon >_<

#11 Rob Himself

Rob Himself

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

Per se, "driving with a broken wrist" is not illegal.

However, "driving without due care and attention" is possible, and depending on insurers - could be breaking their rules too, which would be an IN10.

Or maybe even an MS60, unsure.

#12 TheRestorer

TheRestorer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Local Club: My club!

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

surely its legal.. one armed people are allowed to drive arent they >_<

sorry about the wrist :o

#13 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:04 PM

Yea i called them up again and they said that i should inform the DVLA and then everything would be ok with me driving.

Cheers, hope it gets fixed quick i want to start working on my van and get my engine built lol.

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:31 PM

I'd think it would be for a doctor to decide ultimately. You make a decision about your own fitness to drive every time you get behind the wheel: how much you've drunk; how tired you are.... It would be up to someone else to prove that judgment was wrong to prosecute you.

#15 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:22 PM

The other thing you have to consider is pain killers....they might be having more of an effect on you than you realise. Any excuse and the insurance company will not pay out.

I would also definitely make sure that I have everything in writing from the insurance company.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users