#1 hebrew

hebrew

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:23 PM

Hi,

Anyone know how to identify an A series 1275 block.
It hasn't got an engine number plate on it, so i can't tell what it came out of.
It is an A+, in red. Other than that i don't know what else can tell what it is out of. Would any of the casting numbers be of any use?
It has got liners in it, if this means anything.
I've had it lying in my parents shed for the last 15 or so years and they have just got a new shed so they unearthed it while swapping stuff over into the new shed.
I think all the bits are there for it but it is in need of a rebuild or a new piston and liner.
So i thought i'd maybe get it built up, but i'd be interested to find out what it came out of originally.

Cheers
Ian

#2 ginigwunkle

ginigwunkle

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Local Club: sheffield mini club

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:39 PM

do you deffo know its a 1275?

look just below the cyl head on the back(exhaust mounting side) are there 2 rectangular sections?

you must have the head off too see the liners, measure the cylinder width or give us the numbers ontop of the pistons if you can read them.....

apart from that you cant really tell what the engine is until you strip it.....with the liners it could be a std 1275 thats been rebuilt in the past.

#3 hebrew

hebrew

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:54 PM

Yeah its definately a 1275, its not an S block, it doesn't have the inspection covers on the back of the block.
It is stripped at the moment, everything off it, i can see the liners poking out of the bottom of the cylinders.
I'll get the numbers off the pistons in the morning and if need be i'll get some photos.
I think (if i remember right) it will be an MG Metro engine, but as it will be 15yrs since i got it, my memory isn't what it used to be 15 years ago either.

Cheers

#4 minimender

minimender

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.M.

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:57 PM

Clutch end should have two core plugs in side of block = 1275 then look at piston tops for std or +20 etc

#5 hebrew

hebrew

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

I know its a 1275, what i'm trying to find out is what car it would be in originally.

A normal engine doesn't have liners in, do they?

Its a long time since i've done anything with mini's but i can never recall any engines i've done out with, having liners in them.

#6 ginigwunkle

ginigwunkle

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • Local Club: sheffield mini club

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

no not with liners, it will have been rebuilt with liners fitted to keep, i would say/think the std pistons....cheaper these days to overbore and bigger pistons....!

cant tell without a number.....if you get a picture of the cam then you may be able to tell more IF its 'original' to THAT engine!

#7 hebrew

hebrew

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:44 PM

That could be the next thing, not sure if there is a cam with it.
Is an MG Metro block any different to any other block.
IS a 1275 block, quite simply a 1275 block, is there any difference in any of them other than the S and 1300GT engines?

#8 matt615

matt615

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:52 PM

no not with liners, it will have been rebuilt with liners fitted to keep

I think you'll find that some A series engines were built with liners fitted from new.

#9 hebrew

hebrew

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:54 PM

no not with liners, it will have been rebuilt with liners fitted to keep

I think you'll find that some A series engines were built with liners fitted from new.

Any idea why some were built with and some with out. Was it for some reason then or not.

Cheers
Ian

#10 pogie

pogie

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Local Club: Essex MC

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:56 PM

Apparently this it true, Bill Sollis mentions it in the 1380 build DVD.

#11 pogie

pogie

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Local Club: Essex MC

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

Any idea why some were built with and some with out. Was it for some reason then or not.

Cheers
Ian

It's probably a way of recovering a poorly cast or machined block. It could be that they broke through into the water jacket when block was first bored.

Edited by pogie, 06 March 2008 - 10:01 PM.

#12 minimender

minimender

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.M.

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:59 PM

Dodgy blocks from the foundry were fitted with liners rather than scrapping them.

Another Mini fact :-

#13 hebrew

hebrew

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

So its nowt special then, with it having the liners in.

#14 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:53 AM

No not really... just means it's more difficult to bore out as the liners would then be too thin...

A series blocks the two holes for the alternator attachment are adjacent to the central core plug on the front, A+ they are nearer the third (rhs) one.

A series blocks are smooth, A+ have ribs..

or just take a picture and post up ( front and back )

#15 hebrew

hebrew

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:19 AM

Got some photos today for you to have a look at.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know its an A+ 1275cc, what i was after was how to tell what car it came out of originally, and to see if there was any differance between an MG Metro block and a standard 1275 block, it is standard bore but the big end shells have 010 stamped in them.

Cheers
Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users