#1 scout027

scout027

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:35 PM

Well i will try this again i screwed up my last try at posting. I have never used a forum before and i am new to the mini world. I have what i think is a 1987 mini RHD with a 998A+. The guy i got it from changed all the wiring but left pig tails of the original wires. he added a blade fuse block for switch power and used the original four block for direct power. i have traced every wire and everything works. The dash was replaced and he put in auto meter gauges but there are no warning lights. The Haynes manel diagram that matches the wire colors in the car is for a 1988-on carb model. There is a white wire form the ignition switch and a pink and white wire from the + on the coil. Now i know the white wire from the switch and the brown and yellow wire from the alternator make up the ignition warning light but the diagram shows a ballast resister from the white wire on the switch to the + side of the coil but the only thing there is the pink and white wire. So is the resister needed and if so what size is it? Also what kind of light is needed for the ignition warning light. I should mention that when he rewired the car he replaced all the original swithes with new rocker ones and there is on jumping from one thing to the next everything works indpendently. Well there it is can any body help. Thanks!

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:50 PM

The pink and white wire is the resistor, there should also be a yellow/white wire on the +ve side of the coil connecting it to the operating terminal of the solenoid. Search for ballasted ignition for more info, but only use the proper ballasted coil unless you bypass the pink wire. Any small warning lamp should do for the ignition, about 1A.

#3 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:54 PM

The pink/white wire is the ballast resistor - it's not (or shouldn't be) a standard wire, but one that has a certain resistance per metre, and this is what gives the correct voltage at the coil.

JR

Edited by jayare, 08 March 2008 - 11:54 PM.

#4 scout027

scout027

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:53 AM

The pink/white wire is the ballast resistor - it's not (or shouldn't be) a standard wire, but one that has a certain resistance per metre, and this is what gives the correct voltage at the coil.

JR

So if i connect the P/W wire to the white than run white to warning light bulb and B/R to alternator i should be good. Also i read a post about LED lights they do not work for warning light. Thanks for your help

#5 scout027

scout027

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:39 AM

OK so i pulled the P/W wire off the coil it is stranded silver wire. I set my meter to 20 ohms and it reads 1.7 on the wire. I did an ohms test on the coil ( which is a Blue tronic coil) if that means anything and thereading was 1.8 . If this is correct than how should i conect these wires together along with the warning light?

Oh and there is a W/Y wire connected with the P/W that goes to the solenoid.

Edited by scout027, 09 March 2008 - 01:42 AM.

#6 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:34 AM

i'm wanting to know the same thing, i've taken some pics and hoping someone can do an faq on them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users