#1 Stacey

Stacey

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:32 PM

Hiya guys,

Now Ive got my Mini I am still unsure about which size wheels to go for, I still really like the look you get with the 7x13's and I know there is a lot of work involved to get them to fit, I just dont know what exactly.

The chances are I will stick with 6x12's but just in case I do change my mind again, (I am female, we are known for doing this! :grin: ) I would like to be in the know with what to do. I know I will have to cut the arches quite a bit to allow for clearance and to help minimise scrubbing and rubbing, but what Im not too sure of is the steering rack modifications.

Is it just a case of buying a Cooper S stering rack (I know the later ones came with bigger wheels but dont know if it will fit to my 83 Sprite) or would it be moddifying my original one to allow for the reduced length?

I dont know exactly what will need doing so I thought I would come on here and ask you knowledgeable lot for some help, at least if I have an idea of all the work needed I can then make my decision from there.

Cheers in advance

Stacey x

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:37 PM

you'll need sports pack stearing rack and a good set of shocks

#3 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:39 PM

Stacey,

i believe an aftermarket quick rack or a late model Sportspack steering rack would be sufficient

#4 JamesM

JamesM

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:40 PM

13's will slow your car down rub everywhere but look great.

You need lower profile tyres to make them fit well, about 55 should do it.

Cut the arch to about sports pack size to make them fit. They will rub on the inner wing so you can change the steering rack, or you could cut the inner wing and space it back a touch where it fits. (need to check if this is safe) or just leave them as they are and not put so much lock on.

Trouble with 13's really is that they slow your car down and with a Cooper Sportspack steering rack, you will have the turning circle of the Ark Royal.

Thats big :ohno: Stick with 12's

#5 Stacey

Stacey

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:46 PM

Trouble with 13's really is that they slow your car down and with a Cooper Sportspack steering rack, you will have the turning circle of the Ark Royal.

LOL :ohno:

May just keep on the look for deepdish 6x12's then, I know they will need lower profile tyres, and the handling wont be so good, its just for some reason the 6x12's arent as easy to get hold of as the 7x13's :rolleyes:

#6 JamesM

JamesM

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:56 PM

I have the 13's on the Clubby and they handle well when they are not tramlining and he cruises well on them but I would go back to 12's in a flash if the arches were not cut.

#7 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:56 PM

i've got 6x12s on my mini from midland wheels

Posted Image

#8 Stacey

Stacey

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:12 PM

They look really good Bungle.

The MWS wheels were the only ones I had found and the lady said while they werent sold as deep dish they were pretty deep. I just didnt want to buy them and for them to not look as good as I had hoped. The ones on your car though do look sweet and dont need half as much work as the 7x13's do.

Chnaces are I think they will be what I go for, I just wanted to check on the level of work needed if I did change my mind.

Cheers for the help as always guys :ohno:

Stacey x

#9 millsminis

millsminis

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish Mini Club

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:44 PM

If you go for 5 x 12 4 spoke Revolutions the offset that are set at gives the impression of 6 x12 but without the rubbing....

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 05:10 PM

As has been said it's not a Cooper S steering rack, it's a Sportspack steering rack. It's no longer needed though as KAD now make adapters to reduce the lock of the standard rack on your car, very easy to fit you just stick them under the gaiters.
A quick rack will make the situation worse so don't fit one of those unless you also adapt it with the KAD kit.
Also you will need to spacer the rear wheels by 6mm.

#11 jeffriesmullet

jeffriesmullet

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:10 PM

nice car bungle what arches are they

#12 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members