#1 Ray Roocroft

Ray Roocroft

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

hey guys

there is soemthing tapping underneath the car and I think its to do with the exhaust as its only at a certain rpm (mainly low range). could it be a bracket or maybe a heat shield was installed but not fitted correctly? I havent had a chance to look under the car properly but will do so this coming weekend.

also I have a squeeky belt under the bonnet even though its not worn, you can hear it at the beginning of this video, despite the engine being warmed up and it being a dry day:

Posted Image

any help appreciated :thumbsup:

ps as i said, only had car around 20 hours as of now lol so not so clued up just yet but im getting there :wub:

#2 Cliolord

Cliolord

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 07:59 PM

if the belt looks in good condition, loosen but dont remove the 2 top fixing bolts on the alternator (13mm should do it), loosen the lower 13mm nut and bolt under the alternator and loosen the final nut and bolt which attach's the alternator adjustment bracket to the engine (14mm?) then lever the alternator towards the front of the car slightly until the slack is taken up and re-tighten the bolts.

For the exhaust, check all the hangers and check the exhaust isnt fauling anything, i.e; the rear bumper

#3 Ray Roocroft

Ray Roocroft

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:42 AM

cheers for that mate, ill get on the case :thumbsup: thanks for the advice

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 01:17 AM

How have you determined the belt isn't worn? Is it highly polished? How deep does it sit in the pulley grooves? It should sit nice and high up in the grooves and not be too polished. If not it is worn. How clean are the pulleys? If they are dirty it will also squeal. Not all problems with belts are caused by their tension.

#5 Ray Roocroft

Ray Roocroft

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:29 PM

right ok it does look well sat but to be honest you could be right, could do with a proper inspection. Im heading over to mini sport tomorrow after work so going to be asking a fair few questions about the car but ill pu these suggestions forward to them >_<

#6 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

Buy a new f'ing belt. Their £3 for cheese sake.

#7 Ray Roocroft

Ray Roocroft

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:33 PM

but it could be another component causing it to squeek or something, so buying a new fanbelt wouldnt do it...........cheese....................cake? >_<

#8 mini_lover

mini_lover

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:30 PM

Recently my exhaust has also been tapping on idle/low revs... tis because the cat has gone according to my friendly mechanic...could it be that?

Edit: spelling

Edited by mini_lover, 18 March 2008 - 04:31 PM.

#9 Ray Roocroft

Ray Roocroft

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:48 PM

could be, then again im not sure if mine even has a cat!? havent had a look but mine spits flames!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users