HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:35 PM

Hello Again.

I seem to have a bit of play in my diff. unit - as in when i get hold of the driveshaft splines i can push it in and out and up/down/sideways (Will only move a small amount). Just thinking of all potential problems during my rebuild really, so are there any shims etc. available or is this small amount of play normal?

Thanks again.

#2 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:22 PM

:thumbsup:

#3 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:07 AM

The up and down movement I don't understand but the left to right movement can (and is supposed to be) taken out by shimming the differential.

Measuring for and selecting the shims is a multi-step process that would get quite lengthy to describe here. If it is not covered in the manual specific for your car, look for the purple covered Haynes manual that covers the Mini through the end of Mk2 production. The procedure should be there.

I believe Mini Spares carries the shims... other suppliers should also.

Once you've read up on the shimming procedure the comments I'm about to make should make more sense.
1) Leave the differential cover just a bit loose during your measurements so the differential bearings are free to move left and right.
2) Do not accept at face value the thickness stated in Haynes for the side cover gaskets. The modern gaskets are thicker. Buy new gaskets, install them with full side cover torque during your shim measurements. THEN remove the new gasket and measure its crushed thickness for your shim thickness calculations. Again... measure crushed new gaskets, do not use the value published in Haynes.
3) Once you've calculated the shims you need, fit them to the differential bearings and snug the side covers a bit, then snug the differential cover a bit. Go back and forth between tightening the two sets of bolts/nuts/studs so that everything can move a little bit as final torque is applied.
4) And finally... if you buy the side cover gaskets with the silicone spooge on them, don't count on this alone to prevent leaks. Put a little bit of your favorite non-hardening gasket sealant on the side cover gaskets during final fit up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users