5 replies to this topic

#1 Stevo_Bearwood

Stevo_Bearwood

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:42 PM

I figured I'd take the plunge, and probably give everyone a laugh at the same time. I'm sure I'm being an idiot; but here goes:

I stripped my mini a long while back (now wishing I made some notes), now I'm trying to put back all the plumbing. Have got all the hoses on, but I'm finding that the bottom hose just doesn't make sense. I am trying to attach the pipe from the inside heater to the bit that T's off from the bottom hose. Am I missing something? Am I just doing it wrong? Or does this 1/2" pipe somehow attach to this bit which seams to have a much smaller bore. Have got the old bit of metal tube which I'm sure used to do the job which fits fine into the half inch pipe. Do I need a reducer?

Its a City E (so 998 engine) and I splashed the cash on snazzy silicone hoses.

Stevo.

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:46 PM

So which bits are silicon and which aren't? Yes the later heater hoses are a larger bore than the earlier ones but the bottom hose was never changed, that's why there is a difference at the bottom hose connection. The metal connector should be a size adaptor.

#3 m1n1

m1n1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Local Club: I'm unsociable

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:47 PM

should go on with the short bit of metal pipe to link them together. Unless your fancy silicone hose is for an older model mini which had the smaller heater hoses?

#4 Stevo_Bearwood

Stevo_Bearwood

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:54 PM

So which bits are silicon and which aren't? Yes the later heater hoses are a larger bore than the earlier ones but the bottom hose was never changed, that's why there is a difference at the bottom hose connection. The metal connector should be a size adaptor.

All the hoses are silicone as they were bought as a kit, originally they were the normal black rubber ones. These seem to be the same size as the old ones but I have binned the original bottom hose so I cant compare that. So is that pipe suposed to go onto the bottom hose with the metal piece ot tube, cause it just doesn't seam to want to fit? The metalpiece is the same diametreboth ends, is this the problem? Is there a size adaptor available somewhere?

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:22 AM

Yes you will need a size adaptor. The bottom hose outlet is 1/2" and the heater hoses are 5/8". You will probably have to use 12mm or 13mm and 15mm or 16mm parts respectively. Plastic or metal size adaptors are available from many car parts shops (I believe even Halfords carry some) or from on-line classic and kit car parts suppliers and some auto-electrical suppliers. Try Holden Vintage and Classic, Car Builder Solutions or Vehicle Wiring Products.

#6 Stevo_Bearwood

Stevo_Bearwood

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:38 AM

Yes you will need a size adaptor. The bottom hose outlet is 1/2" and the heater hoses are 5/8". You will probably have to use 12mm or 13mm and 15mm or 16mm parts respectively. Plastic or metal size adaptors are available from many car parts shops (I believe even Halfords carry some) or from on-line classic and kit car parts suppliers and some auto-electrical suppliers. Try Holden Vintage and Classic, Car Builder Solutions or Vehicle Wiring Products.

Top bloke!!!!

Will check that out in the morning. I was starting to think I was going insane, cause it just wouldn't go together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users