8 replies to this topic

#1 Racing Green

Racing Green

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:59 PM

I am new here hi every1 I had a little accident in my mini I was driving down the road and a lad on a scooter cut me up I swerve to to aviode him and did but hit the kerb now I have a little chip in the gearbox wich is an auto anyway I took it to a garage and the fella put a special alloy paste on it but it dosnt seen to have worked that well he also said the next option would be to weld it but this is a special skill with the gearbox being allumium and would cost £400-£500 and would be a big job if he had to do it from the inside of the gearbox want to see what you think should I get some of this alloy paste myself and give it a go or get the fella to weld it for £400-£500. Yes in future I will get a sump Guard Thanks

#2 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:11 PM

Is the chip actually a hole? If so then it will cost loads to repair, so might be easier to replace sump... (eeek)...

If it's not a hole then who cares?

#3 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:11 PM

A new engine and box would be much cheaper

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:38 PM

Use some liguid metal on it, or go to your local steel fabrication place and get one of the guys to weld it up for you, shouldn't cost that much and should be able to do it from the outside tho you will need to drain and flush all the oil out.

Finding another auto box thats in good order might not be too hard, but good luck changing it!!

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:50 PM

Ages and ages ago, my mum had an auto which us kids used to go to college etc.. one day my Sister did much the same..

She cracked the sump and it started to leak oil, well *yellow human water* oil out all over the floor, after being recovered it was diagnosed as end of gearbox.

For that amout of money you'll be able to pick up a complete auto engine and box, in decent knick and replace the whole shooting match... possibly a 1300 aswell.

Can you actually get a sump guard for an auto, as the stick further out of subby than a manual, and the cooling is not as good either, does yous have an oil cooler ?

#6 Racing Green

Racing Green

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:27 PM

IT is leaking a bit of oil the hole is only a pin prick

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 08:58 PM

I think Guessworks is right, you can't get a sumpgaurd for the Auto as the front member of the subframe is a completely different shape.

If you do get a new box and motor then you can always get the very late model which comes with a park position!

#8 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:46 PM

Use some liguid metal on it, or go to your local steel fabrication place and get one of the guys to weld it up for you, shouldn't cost that much and should be able to do it from the outside tho you will need to drain and flush all the oil out.

Finding another auto box thats in good order might not be too hard, but good luck changing it!!

it's alloy, a bugger to weld!

#9 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:58 AM

If your local machine shop (engineering works?) has TIG welding equipment they could probably weld it for you. However, they might be afraid of the liability of welding it and refuse to try.

Before resorting to a new gearbox I'd try various bandaids yourself. It's not going to hurt anything at this point. Remember the problem you have is that oil is leaking out. Any filler you apply (liquid metal, silicone RTV, etc.) will be fighting the oil trying to get out WHILE it's curing. I'd start this project on a weekend. Drail all the oil out and jack the car up as high as possible in a location that gets the crack up high where oil is less likely to flow into the crack from the inside. Once set up like this, use very coarse sandpaper or a file to roughen the area around the crack . Once it's all roughened up, thoroughly degrease the area with a rag moistened with a solvent like lacquer thinner. Do this multiple times until the rag comes away "clean". Then apply your sealer of choice. Were it me, I'd try blue RTV as it's fairly tough and oil resistant. I'd put a thin bead over the crack and work it in with my finger. Then I'd put down a heavy bead over the crack spreading out at least 6mm each side of it. Then I'd wait over night for it to cure.

If this doesn't work you've only invested in a tube of sealant and some paint thinner. If it does work, you're repair will be good indefinitely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users