#1 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

I am just about to start the fuelling side of my project. I think I need help.
The car is standard hayabusa injection at the moment but but will be turbo charged later on in life.
I only want to make one fuel system now, that will supply enough fuel for the later turbo engine.

Starting at the tank I first thought of the facet red top, mounted to the bottom of the tank.

Posted Image
up to 200bhp 6-7.5psi and 35g/hr flow.

Its quite big and awkward to fit in the place I had in mind.
So I looked at the one below, solid state one.

Posted Image
Up to 150 bhp 4-5.5psi and 18g/hr flow.

Intended swirl pot is 1.5 ltr

Posted Image

Diagram of swirl pot system (borrowed)

Posted Image

Now the last thing I want is fuel problems causing the engine to run lean on full boost.

So will the swirl pot always remain full with the small pump no matter how much fuel is demanded from the injection pump?

:mrcool:

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

I know nothing about bike engines but I think any injection system will need a high pressure, roller vane, pump to keep the fuel rail permanently pressurised.

Ok, now I've looked at the diagram properly i'll shut up :mrcool:

single pump sounds good though

Edited by Ethel, 24 March 2008 - 09:10 PM.

#3 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:05 PM

make a sump in the bottom of the tank like im doing a do away with extra fuel pump and swirl pot and associated pipework, A 4"x4" square pickup area will suffice.

cheers

#4 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:34 PM

I think I already have a sort of sump. I will take a picture tomorrow. Its a strange shape tank (big capacity).
With the swirl pot idea I know for certain I have 1.5ltr fuel at hand (if it stays full). I have seen so many melted pistons from running high boost, caused by a moment of low fuel pressure. I don't want to take any chances.
A none turbo busa engine will probably just cut out or splutter after a fuel glitch with no damage.

Cheers for the ideas.

Edit Forgot to mention pump two is a high pressure injection pump.

Edited by koss, 24 March 2008 - 09:41 PM.

#5 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:09 PM

No Problem, As long as you get one which supplies enough capacity then you will be ok, the fuel return from the rail will also feed the swirl pot so no chance in running low really.
Good luck with all the plumbing then as you have plenty of room to fit it all in!!!! :mrcool:

#6 Pete649

Pete649

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:55 PM

make a sump in the bottom of the tank like im doing a do away with extra fuel pump and swirl pot and associated pipework, A 4"x4" square pickup area will suffice.

cheers

Just to clarify, would that be doing away with the low pressure fuel pump and run the whole fuel system at high pressure?

Thanks

#7 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:58 PM

cheers

Just to clarify, would that be doing away with the low pressure fuel pump and run the whole fuel system at high pressure?

Thanks

Yep, it makes sure under a long hard corner thet the high pressure pump doesnt get any air or los of fuel in their.

will post some pics soon of how i do mine.

cheers

#8 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:03 PM

what shape is the tank?

is it short and long/wide, or tall and deep?

the function of a swirl pot is to prevent fuel starvation in long sweeping corners when the tank is short and wide.

for example with a std mini tank you are unlikely to get fuel starvation unless the tank is pretty empty.

I'd say if you have a "sump" in the tank and its not masivly wide you'll be fin with no swirl pot and 1 pump.

#9 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:36 PM

what shape is the tank?

is it short and long/wide, or tall and deep?

the function of a swirl pot is to prevent fuel starvation in long sweeping corners when the tank is short and wide.

for example with a std mini tank you are unlikely to get fuel starvation unless the tank is pretty empty.

I'd say if you have a "sump" in the tank and its not masivly wide you'll be fin with no swirl pot and 1 pump.

The tank is quite tall and about 18" high and 14" wide, the sump part should be about 4" deep and 4" wide/square, i have put a 1" taper to keep all the fuel in the sump aswell, i will also mount the filter and pump underneath to keep them out of the way of the cooling hoses plus they are as low as possible.
Hers a quick sketch so you get the idea.

Posted Image

cheers

Edited by markrally, 06 April 2008 - 05:39 PM.

#10 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:05 PM

in that case i'd just use 1 pump.

#11 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:19 PM

in that case i'd just use 1 pump.

Yes correct.

cheers

#12 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:27 PM

My tank already has a sump similar to that. Forgot to take photos. It also slopes backwards and outwards for maximum capacity. I am just going with standard single pump for now, to get it finished before the new EU sva.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users