#1 hatchet

hatchet

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:04 PM

Hi everyone

Can anyone help as to where I should be connecting the wires for a rev counter I purchased recently?
I've worked out so far that the black=earth (fairly obvious that one!!) and the white is for illumination (by connecting to a 9v battery). Just need some advice on where I connct the remaining green and red wires. Photo attached (hopefully!)

Many thanks
'Abbo'

Attached Files

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:13 PM

red would be power

green to - coil

#3 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:03 AM

Bungle's info is correct. Thankfully most manufacturers have standardized on those colors over the past decade or so.

Remember, the coil connection is on the coil terminal going to the distributor. (Coil (-) on negative ground cars).

#4 hatchet

hatchet

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:46 AM

Cool :ohno:

Cheers guys!!

'Abbo'

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 04:27 PM

Surely they can't get away with selling these things in this country under that colour code, we have a British Standard (which means its the law) colour code for car wiring! Why in the name of arse should accessory manufacturers think they are important enough to standardise these colours themselves?

Sorry, just felt like a bit of a rant. Why do I bother learning the bleedin colours if someone's going to go changing them all!

Glad you're a Doc now by the way DK.

#6 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 07:55 PM

Thanks Dan.

Different standards do confuse things. In the you.S., DC industrial sensors use the color code red/black/white for hot/ground/signal. The comparable DIN spec. European parts use brown/blue/black for the same connections. It's very confusing when you're not used to it. Then I come home and work with the Lucas color codes where green is switched 12v power (which is ground everywhere else in the world).

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:21 PM

All change in Europe at the moment, black is phase 2 now and grey is phase 3 (until recently 2 and 3 were BOTH BLACK! Ridiculous, red, yellow, blue makes a lot more sense). Functional earth is now cream (of all the stoopid colours they could choose) and SELV (12v) is supposed to be purple or something.
Damn European rules.

Now this -

you.S.

- is truly funny! :lol:

Edited by Dan, 28 April 2005 - 09:23 PM.

#8 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 01:58 AM

The sad thing is... that quote was a typo. That's what I get for posting while at work with my boss wandering around... no time to proof read.

Over here, three phase colors remain red/black/white in that order with neutral being green. I've had to work with the red/yellow/blue before... but over here we run on 60hz so not too much European stuff would work here anyway. In my ex-job we used to sell equipment into Europe so we had to follow the standards of whichever country we were dealing with. I'm a 3-phase coward though. I avoid the stuff as much as I can. You're right, earth being "cream" is a very odd choice indeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users