30 replies to this topic

#16 wayneb911

wayneb911

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:23 PM

Normally its secong gear on them that blows up, depends how its used i say secong gear as people doing wheelies or should i say trying tend to damage them, Shouldn have that problem in a mini tho but a rebuild may be in order at some point

#17 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:23 PM

Are you trying to select the gears whilst moving with the engine running or just trying to select them with no motion??
Try running it up whilst the car is supported on axle stands.

You may have already tried but it doesnt say you have but apologies if you have

cheers

#18 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

Are you trying to select the gears whilst moving with the engine running or just trying to select them with no motion??
Try running it up whilst the car is supported on axle stands.

You may have already tried but it doesnt say you have but apologies if you have

cheers

thanks for that, we were on axle stands giving it some beans. still no joy. :D

#19 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:31 AM

Do you know any history on your engine? miles/crashed did it used to go in these gears? etc..

Does the gear lever not move when trying to engage 5/6? or move but crunch?

Just a guess It sounds like the selector fork between 5/6 is bent. Its very tricky to try and engage high gears without moving and clutch down. Probable cause of bent selector is forcing the gear or if the bike has been down the road on its gear side.

The common faults are 2nd gear and output shaft bearing unrelated to your problem.

#20 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:58 PM

Another thing that might be worth checking is the engine is not moving. Sounds odd but if there is any movement in the engine mounts etc then the force that normally moves the selector arm will just move the engine instead. I had it happen soon after finishing mine where I could not select the higher gears got very panicy until we discovered the engined was moving slightly. When tightened it was all fine again.

Fingers crossed for you that it's something as simple

Ade

Edited by Ade, 27 March 2008 - 03:58 PM.

#21 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:24 PM

Fingers crossed for you that it's something as simple

Ade

and me - new selector fork is only 28quid but we're so disheartened at the prospect of having to take everything out to get at the engine :dontgetit:

We'll give the once over again tonight and see if we get any progress.

thanks Ade and koss. :thumbsup:

#22 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

I read in your other thread that you suspect the head gasket has gone? Found "mayo" in the oil. Did you drain and fill with new oil when you fitted the engine? Have you drained the oil and refilled since discovering the "mayo"?

Bike engines have a wet clutch system (still doesn't make sense to me) and the oil can be very important to how this works. I had oil in mine that took on a mayo type appearance shortly after the car was finished and the inevitable dread set in! The car drove fine didn't have any temperature problems etc associated with with head gasket failure.

Drained it and filled with Silkolene bike oil ( one specially designed to help with the clutch). The clutch felt notabley different afterwards and never saw anything mayo like again (kept checking regularly). Would appear that in my case it was just a small amount of water in the oil system probably from when it was stood for however long after being removed from the bike.

Just a thought as I guess it could affect the gear changing if not lubed properly?

Could be worth a try before ripping it all out and sending the engine back?

#23 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:23 PM

Could be worth a try before ripping it all out and sending the engine back?

there could be hope yet then !
assuming we have a dodgy sump full of oil, fully synthetic not blending with previous dregs etc - would this make high gear selection troublesome ? either due to poor clutch of sludge around the gear selector forks?

it has been very confusing - no overheating, starts and revs great, first gear has settled down with adjustments on slector mechanism - just no 5th and sixth.

thanks for the response - gonna get some silkolene +4, plus suitable flushing agent and a new filter from local yamaha dealership in the morning and we'll see what happens.

;)

#24 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:05 PM

Drained it and filled with Silkolene bike oil ( one specially designed to help with the clutch). The clutch felt notabley different afterwards and never saw anything mayo like again (kept checking regularly).

Which particular grade of silkolene oil was it as the website recommends a fully synthetic 10-40 oil.

Posted Image

Cheers

Edited by markrally73, 28 March 2008 - 06:05 PM.

#25 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:13 PM

Drained it and filled with Silkolene bike oil ( one specially designed to help with the clutch). The clutch felt notabley different afterwards and never saw anything mayo like again (kept checking regularly).

Which particular grade of silkolene oil was it as the website recommends a fully synthetic 10-40 oil.

Posted Image

Cheers

wow - mind reader ! - I went to Yamaha dealership and thats exactly what i got. plus 5 litres of a suitable grade for flushing as recommended by yamaha geezer.

thanks ;)

#26 Ade

Ade

the bogie man

• Members
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:34 PM

That looks like the one! Although it was a while ago now ;)

#27 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:13 PM

That is fully synthetic, They all look the same................. ;)

Does Pete Know of still have a tub knocking round in his garage?

cheers

#28 pete

pete

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

Ade's was all built at his house and I guess he's had a clear out as he needed room in the garage to fit the bag of old nails he calls a car to stop it rusting any more than it already has ;) . We did have issues with a white sludge build up but as Ade said, we cleaned it out and it never came back so we just put it down to moisture from where the engine had been sitting. If it runs as well as you say then don't think the head gasket will have gne. The tolerences in these engines is so fine that any fault like that would clearly show up in the way it runs.
Due to various problems I never kept oil in the pickup long enough to worry about such things so I ended up just using what the local dealer recommended. Can't remember what it was but it wasn't cheap :thumbsup: .

Pete

#29 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

Can't remember what it was but it wasn't cheap :dontgetit: .

Pete

Not arf - £48.00 for 4 litres :P

#30 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:35 PM

Can't remember what it was but it wasn't cheap :dontgetit: .

Pete

Not arf - £48.00 for 4 litres :P

How much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users