lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:23 PM

ok very quick question

can you use cv joint grease for the steering rack? i have a couple spare sachets

and what grease would people recommend for greasing bearings and using in a grease gun etc?

cheers

#2 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:23 PM

No. Your steering rack should never need re-greasing. Late steering racks are non-servicable, if it needs greasing it is probably worn too and should be exchanged for a re-con. If you feel you have to grease it you should use BP Energrease FGL Fluid or equivalent. I can't find a direct equivalent listed but it needs to be a fluid lithium grease as the high temperature lithium types don't flow unitl they are hot and the rack just doesn't heat up. The closest Castrol may be L/EP0 but don't quote me on that. It needs 100cc from dry, less if there is still grease remaining in the rack. Moly-disulphide grease (CV grease) is not suitable.

The most commonly available grease that is suitable for both the wheelbearings and suspension grease points is Castrol LM. The original spec is Duckhams LB10. There are Shell and other equivalents too. It just needs to be a high temperature lithium based grease. The rating is officially multi purpose lithium grease NLGI consistency 2, but you won't find that written on many packets.

Edited by Dan, 29 March 2008 - 01:29 PM.

#3 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:36 PM

you have come to my rescue thanks dan!

just went and cut open one of the old gaiters and theres plenty lubrication on them and the ends seem great, will fit my new gaiters right away

oh and thanks for the info on the grease, im pretty sure my grandad has a load of the castrol and duckhams grease

il go steal his :-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users