22 replies to this topic

#1 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:00 AM

A bird (sounds like a crow) has managed to get down our chinmey this morning and is now flapping about in there trying to get out....

We've looked up there with a torch, but unforuntately it's in one of the branches that goes off to the other side of the house, where the chimney breasts have been taken out and blocked off. So even if we knocked a big hole in the breast in the loft it might still be stuck somewhere we can't get to!

Sy's gone to work and left me to deal with it, I'm scared of ringing the RSPCA and ending up being told I have to knock holes in my newly decorated lounge wall (which incidentally is where our TV is mounted- set into the wall)...... The fire doesn't get used anymore and the chimney is going to be taken out upstairs and off the roof completely, but not until we're ready to do the loft conversion............. What the heck should I do today with this bird, I feel really cruel just listening to it, the poor thing is going frantic :)

Plus if it dies of a heart attack it's going to smell terrible in a few days. ;)

#2 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:11 AM

send a midget up there to get it :)

#3 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:57 AM

I haven't got any little people handy at the moment...... :)

My sitting room looks like the bottom of a bird cage now, there is so much mess falling down, I really don't know what to do..... someone must have a good idea! ;)

#4 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:02 AM

Phone the RSPCA, Amy. I doubt they'll knock through your walls to get to a wild bird that may be injured beyond the capability of flight.

Failing that, have you got a cat? :)

Light the fire & roast it? A cooked rotten crow will smell better than raw rotten crow.... ;)

#5 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:09 AM

Phone the RSPCA, Amy. I doubt they'll knock through your walls to get to a wild bird that may be injured beyond the capability of flight.

^^ ;)

Or just light a fire and try smoke it out? Worst case it will die and like Juju said it'll smell nicer burnt... :)

And for next time, get some chicken wire mesh stuff put over the chimney tops... :errr:

Edited by yorkshirechris, 31 March 2008 - 08:11 AM.

#6 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:13 AM

Failing that, have you got a cat? :errr:

Light the fire & roast it? A cooked rotten crow will smell better than raw rotten crow.... :sneaky:

Just been reading on the internet about stuck birds... apparently the RSPCA can make you knock holes ANYWHERE they see fit and will get a court order if you refuse... ;) Which is why I'm extremely reluctant to phone them, especially as I'm on my own today!

We've got a £3k flat screen mirror TV set into the wall above the fire place..... lighting a real fire is most definitely not an option!!!

My Mum just suggested getting the leaf blower and blasting it up the chimney, but I really don't think it'll do anything but frighten the bird even more......... :)

#7 Angelic_Fruitcake

Angelic_Fruitcake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:19 AM

Just been reading on the internet about stuck birds... apparently the RSPCA can make you knock holes ANYWHERE they see fit and will get a court order if you refuse...

Ouch! As Juju suggests, a cat may be able to get it out, ours is certainly very adept at climbing chimmneys.

Have you got one of those flexible drain un-blockers? If you attached something flat to the end of it, you should be able to push it out the top?

#8 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:25 AM

Just been reading on the internet about stuck birds... apparently the RSPCA can make you knock holes ANYWHERE they see fit and will get a court order if you refuse...

Ouch! As Juju suggests, a cat may be able to get it out, ours is certainly very adept at climbing chimmneys.

Have you got one of those flexible drain un-blockers? If you attached something flat to the end of it, you should be able to push it out the top?

The main problem is what I tried to explain at the start.... there was originally two chimney breasts joined together, into one chimney stack at the top. One breast is still in place right to the floor on one side (with Victorian fireplace we've left in place). The other side was removed up to loft level, where iron supports have been put in to support the chimney stack...... But I think the bird is stuck at loft level between the two chimney breasts!!

It's a very small chimney and a cat will most definitely get stuck up there too....... I've just remembered that our neighbours keep birds of prey though, so they might have some ideas or 'special' equipment for this sort of thing (why didn't I think of it before).... will go round and see if they're in! :)

#9 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:21 AM

does it sound like its stuck? try getting a garden hose as it is flexible enough to bend round the corners. once its out id get someone round to put a chimney grate on for the future :)

#10 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:51 AM

does it sound like its stuck? try getting a garden hose as it is flexible enough to bend round the corners. once its out id get someone round to put a chimney grate on for the future :sneaky:

No it's up there singing away quite happily :errr:........ of course it sounds like it's bloody stuck, why would I be asking for help otherwise?! ;) :wub:

I've tried everything now, hose, drain rods etc..... the poor thing is very distressed flapping it's wings and squawking every few minutes. My neighbour said her husband should be able to help when he gets home from work. (the ones with Birds of prey) He must have an idea of what to do, or some special birdy stuff? :errr: :)

As I said before, the chimney is coming down in the near future, so there's not much need to put a grate up there- we're just very unlucky that this little tweety-pie has decided to get in there a few months too soon!

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:07 AM

You could ring the rspca anonymously from a pay phone to test the water.

Seems simple enough though, what matters more to you: saving the bird or your brickwork?

#12 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

Tell next door they have a bird stuck in their chimney and that they should phone the RSPCA! :)

#13 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:18 AM

Seems simple enough though, what matters more to you: saving the bird or your brickwork?

To be honest, I would have had a cold chisel and hammer out at 7am, but Simon was having none of it....... If the bird is still alive when he gets home then I'm going to make him knock a hole through the chimney in the loft to get it out.

It's gone very quiet now though........ either worn out or popped it's cloggs. :)|

#14 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:40 AM

No it's up there singing away quite happily :sneaky:........ of course it sounds like it's bloody stuck, why would I be asking for help otherwise?! ;) :wub:

LMAO :errr: :)

#15 Angelic_Fruitcake

Angelic_Fruitcake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:44 AM

Tell next door they have a bird stuck in their chimney and that they should phone the RSPCA! :)

Lol :errr:

Aww, poor bird ;) its probably worn itself out with all the flapping!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users