#1 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:19 PM

hi all
So for a spot of fun I replaced my entire clutch hydraulic system over the past few days because i couldnt get the thing to bleed properly, there was always air in it. new m/c, slave cylinder, and both hoses. Did the final hose today thinking that was sure to cure it. The shotgun approach to diagnostics or what! Anyway the bugger still has air in. Im using a one-man bleed tube thing and i can only guess that this is cream crackered. Before I fork out cash I dont have to a garage, any last ideas?

#2 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:24 PM

try without the one man bleeding system. make sure the hoses are done up tight and the seals are in the cylinders properly. if this is all ok theres no reason it shouldnt work.

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:58 PM

There's two sorts of one man bleed thingies, there's the one where you have to pump the pedal, either brake of clutch, which is basically a tube with a (so called) one way valve in the end...

or...

There's an ezi-bleed which is a pressurised cannister connected to your tyre and maste cylinder which forces the fluid through.

The first, I've found, are basically kack, as you can't see what's comming out of the end, when you're pumping the pedal so you need two people, and if there is any degredation in the one way valve, air is sucked back in.

The ezi-bleed, is superb, and I've used one for years with no troubles.

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:24 PM

Make sure all the pipe joints are tight as air is thinner than fluid, so it may not look like its leaking, but it could be sucking air into the system.

Like said before, try bleading it manualy. If you've got long arms and legs like me, you can do it yourself by having the boor open and leaning thru the gap between the door and body while pumping the peal and do the blead nipple. :lol:

Failing that, wedge the clutch pedal down with the nipple closed off and leave it for a day or so, this way and air in the system should work its own way out.

#5 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:18 PM

I cheat. I pull the bleed nipple out and coat its threads with silicone grease (DOT-5 fluid... so no problem there). Then I thread the nipple back in all but about 1/4 turn and fit a bleed tube with a check valve in it. The grease keeps the loose nipple from sucking air around the threads and the check valve only allows flow "out" of the nipple. If you're using DOT-3 or DOT-4 fluid I think you could use the Lockheed brake grease with similar results.

This makes it a one-man process and fairly quick also.

#6 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:47 PM

hmm, a selection of cunning ideas! my one-man jobby was the pipe with one-way-valve set up, so think ill try the eezi-bleed or get a garage to do it properly, hopefully its just a C**p bleed pipe.
By the by I've heard however that those eezibleed jobs can pop seals when you use them on brake systems, particularly on vauxhalls?

#7 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:42 PM

I always hold the clutch pedal down then carefully undo the nipple allowing the clutch arm to return.

You'll need to have blead the system a bit befor you do this mind.

Wil

#8 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:53 PM

can't you just get someone to come round and help you bleed it? I once collared one of my (admittedly helpful) neighbours to sit in the car for 10 mins and pump the pedal whilst I bled the rear brakes.

That way you don't have to use the pants one man bleeding kit. Alternatively do what Guessworks and others have suggested and acquire an eezi-bleed kit.

Tom

#9 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:18 PM

my nipple went (on the clutch) and air got in over the period of a week, and made the clutch a nightmare. something to look out for...dodgy nipples

#10 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:27 PM

easi-bleed every time! took 20 seconds to bleed my clutch once i had fitted the engine into the new car! Easy as falling off a log! :lol:

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:10 PM

something to look out for...dodgy nipples

Any takers?! :lol: :lol:

#12 Cir-clipalot

Cir-clipalot

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:25 PM

well since you mention it i have just been out and tweeked my malfunctioning nipple.
ahem
anyway big thanks lads as soon as i plugged in eezibleed that lovely tube full of bubble-free fluid that ive been dreaming about appeared.
so chances are it was my tube which was knackered in the first place (oo-er) and i didnt need to renew all those parts....GRRRR....let this be a lesson to others because i feel like a bit of a retard now!
However the beggar still wont go into 3rd or 4th without screaming and graunching so i reckon ive dropped another bollock somewhere else...maybe using an A series gearchange rod with an A+ gearbox and an A+ quickshift stick wasnt a good idea? i didnt think it would make any difference. or perhaps just time to adjust the clutch whatnot properly?

#13 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:16 AM

Yes, adjust your clutch if it is the pre-verto version. A verto clutch shouldn't go out of adjustment until it is worn out in which case.........

#14 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:00 PM

Just found this so thought I would post in the ebay section....Click link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users