#16 neon92

neon92

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:02 PM

going off subject even more
I did my A levels after my GCSE's - was the best 2 years of my life. you have freedom 2 do what you want because you have money and a car and can get *Drunk or yellow human water* but no responsibilities.
im doing a gap year now and have a full time job and its no way near as fun.
cant wait 2 go back 2 uni in october.

My advice is remain a student as long as you possibly can!

#17 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:17 PM

just work hard miniman5 and youl have loads of money to do up your mini as apose to paying back uni bills!

yep! :grin: thats the plan!

#18 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:25 PM

My uni mates have researched this, and apparently if you either become a priest or work overseas for 3 months student loans are cleared!!? Could just be a uni myth though?

#19 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:27 PM

HAHA! ace!

#20 rob mini

rob mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:54 PM

im just about to take my final a level exams and aslong as i get the grades needed i'll be walking into a modern apprenticeship paying just over £200 a week

#21 The Roadie

The Roadie

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:01 PM

Wouldn't completely rule out apprenticeships, some guys I kow are on great ones.
I'm at college, I hate it but I'm going to put up with it unitl I get some A levels, I've never given up on anything, so even if I get bad ones I don't care.
YOUR NOT GETTING ME TO GO TO UNI! No way hosay!
Get yourself a part time job, and do some grafting whilst your at college or something. I love my job at the local pub, on Fridays at college I can't wit to get there. If you get a good job you'll love it.
I'm only on £4.00 an hour but its two 7 hour shifts so my college week wage is £56 which keeps the Mini going nice.
I used to do 44 hours a week over the summer, I was being paid more than most of thebar staff as I was on £180! I was there 6 days a week and I made my job my own, coming from just the galsswasher to general handyman, like when I repaired the fence before the area managers came round!
I get real satisfaction from it, especailly since the tech guys came to us (the flagship of the company) and said we had the cleanest ice machines and glasswashers in the comany. They're MY jobs!
Just keep at it school Miniman, buyt don't get to worked up over GCSE's they're nothing. Get a decent job/college/apprenticeship and get some grafting done. A glowing reference off an employer will outweigh any number of GCSEs.
Turned my car into the ladymagnet it is today too.

Also my mate Millsy is completely blind in one eye and he's got a licence.
My dad is colourblind and can't see some shades of red, green, grey, pink, and brown. Also one of his eyes is very blurry and he's one of the best drivers I've ever been out with. Someone who can parallel park an 11 ton horsebox inbetween two cars with no space either end to walk through!

#22 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:37 PM

im in my final 3 weeks of A levels then off to uni.

im remaining as a named driver till im 21 as it works out cheaper

#23 Miniman

Miniman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:09 AM

just thought id point out that it was miniman5 that started it about school and not me. So really you shuld all be speaking to miniman5

#24 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:50 AM

Guna stick up for the uni guys here, my mates at work all day doing something fairly well paid most of them did A-levels, and then there are the few of us out on the beach with a hint of sun (were the students). We will all get the jobs in the areas were interested in, it'll be a pretty hard slog to become a top level engineer without a degree?!
I'm aware of the student loan thing, but have you looked at the actual percentages you have to pay back? Not even noticeable when you're on so much money. Ok you can get well paid jobs without degrees, but will you have the same job satisfaction? I know i'm going to be doing something that i'll enjoy, and with a bit more hard work after uni can go where ever i want.
One of the guys that finished my course a few years ago came in about a month ago, he is on £50,000 now i'm aware this is a bit of an exception an he says he did work dam hard but he is only 25!

Well thats my view anyway 3 years of fun that'll give you a lot more satisfaction in later life.

#25 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:22 AM

It all depends on what profession you want to go in for, some require a degree some don't, in my industry most employers will ask for a degree or 3 to 4 years experience, personally im going the experience route, since im earning money all the while im learning the same stuff i would b at uni and in 5 or 10 years time i may not want to do the same job. Therefore it all depends on personal circumstance!

#26 MiniMoi

MiniMoi

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:21 AM

lol im colour blind with red, green, brown and also blue and purple lol, my mates mini was blue purple flip, i couldnt tell.

I have the exact same thing, don't really have a problem with it. There are just some occupations you can not do.

MiniMoi

#27 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:34 AM

with or without uni or a-levels its the same employment ladder, and with uni you start higher, without lower, its how hard you work which determines how high you get!

#28 Miniman

Miniman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:59 PM

you cant be an electrician if your colour blind

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users