#1 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:32 PM

Since the April 18th a new MOT certification system has been rolled out nationwide.

The impact of this is that details of an MOT are now stored centrally which also links in with other details of the vehicle ( registration, Insurance etc... )

One of the realy useful things with this is that you can lookup the details of an MOT for a vehicle you may be wishing to purchase given that you have the registration plate and reference number form the V5 or MOT Certificate..

Here's a link to the page on the VOSA website

Click link

When I've got mine from this afternoon I'll post it up and maybe, depending on what's displayed, explain some of the things to look for...

Edited by GuessWorks, 06 May 2005 - 12:33 PM.

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:03 PM

Would you believe it, my MOT station is one of the ones which has not been converted yet ! tsk

So if anyone would like to volunteer the necessary information so we can all have a see what's what, would be grateful

#3 pierce

pierce

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:46 PM

we've had our computer at work but not online yet waitin for smart card should be online in couple of weeks

#4 marc

marc

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:56 PM

Were the same as pierce, think a lot of places still are awaiting all the bits to get it working. Got the training video through last week though, should be up and running soon.

The mot paper will no longer mean anything!

#5 Skatiechik

Skatiechik

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:19 PM

How does it now stand if you want to submit your car for its MOT in the 28 days before?

If it failed, you just drove around (assuming it was nothing serious like brakes) got it fixed and resubmitted safe in the knowledge you current MOT was still in date?

Surely the new computerised system will stop you being able to do this?

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:56 PM

In theory the fact that it has failed does not affect the fact it still has a valid MOT. I'm not sure the rules have changed, just the way in which the information is recorded... But this is just speculation.

#7 pierce

pierce

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 06:33 PM

well we've got computer waitin for them to come and show us how to use it and set it up for testing but its already been over a week since fitted it they were supposed to be phoning us to set a date but nothing yet let you know when find out more about new testing rules

#8 Boab

Boab

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:13 PM

Am I right in saying that in reality your MOT is only valid for the day it passes? You could drive out the MOT centre and your CV boot could split, meaning your car would now not pass its MOT, but you have 363 days left on your certificate. I have known friends who have been cautioned by the police for similar things due to the car not being technically road worthy. Just a thought, but this new system looks good and it got a good write up in WHICH magazine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users