#1 metalminis

metalminis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 12:03 PM

Hi guys.
Now I've fixed my steering problem, Im continiung the restoration of my sprite.
I need to fit a new radiator, as mine is shot. I've bought one and was just wondering how hard it is to fit. I remember someone telling me there is a really akward bolt underneath you have to undo. I have no access to ramps or anything, so is it possible to do witht he car resting on the ground, or jacked up a bit?

And also...

I have a set of Hi-los. Someone told me not to fit them as the can bugger up the geometry of the suspension. I found this hard to belive as hundreds of people fit them to their cars. What is your veiw on them? I really need to raise the car up a bit, as my exhaust and cat slams against the ground with any sign of a bump or raise in the ground. Im geting new shocks fitted, will this help the height of the car?

cheers

#2 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 02:29 PM

Sorry cant help with the radiator question, Bluemini should be able to help you.

As for hi-los there's no harm in fitting them, but I strongly suggest you invest in some adjustable rear camber brackets (round 30 pounds a pair i think) as any height change results in a rather nasty camber change on a mini, so its good to be able to adjust the camber correctly!

Shocks shouldnt have an effect on ride height unless they are shot in which case the car MIGHT be a bit lower.

Suspension cones (the rubber cones) are what is used instead of springs in a mini suspension, and they can wear out with age (but a Sprite shouldnt really have any problems as its not very old), and they do have an effect on ride height. As they get old the car may sag...

#3 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 14 February 2004 - 06:51 PM

There is no harm in fotting Hi-Lo's, they wont affect your suspension geomatry as long as you dont go mad with it, ie. really low or really high. The lower you go, the more negative camber you get (bottom of the wheel sticks out). The higher yo go, the more possitive camber you get (top of the wheel sticks out) If you are concerend with this, just get a set of 1.5* front negative camber bottom arms (around £45) and fit them on, It will make it handle better too. There is no need to worry about the back tho, adjusting the ride hieght doesnt affect them.

The radiator ir easy, 30 mins max.

All you need to do is take the grill off, with a long extension and socket (either 13mm (1/2") or 11mm (7/6") cant remember which) undo the bolt that holds the rad on at the bottom above the engine mount. Then from the top, reach down the back of the rad and undo and remove the bottom hose and let all the water drain out. Next take the top hose off and the steady bracket that holds the top of the rad to the thermostat housing. Once you've done that, just lift the rad out, it may need wiggling a bit to get it past the fan, but thats all. Fitting is the reverse of removal.

You dont even need a jack or a hammer for this one!

#4 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 February 2004 - 06:57 PM

I did the radiator, water pump and hoses on my clubby in a few hours last autumn. The bolt you speak of is a sod to get at on a round nose mini, with the clubby its a bit easier, but you will definitely need to take the grille off to get at it. Its also a good idea to take the alternator off too, as it makes access a lot easier.

The best thing to use is a ratchet with about a 6 inch extension on to give you room to turn it. The bolt itself goes into a captive nut on the engine mount, and mine came undone easily (the car is 26 years old and was still on original rad when i did it), so undoing it shouldn't be a problem. A 'wobbly' extension would help, as this allows a socket to sort of wobble about, making it a bit easier to get the angle right. To withdraw the bolt, take off the bracket securing the top of the rad and just give the rad a waggle to ease the bolt out, as its quite long.

I would also suggest taking the fan off too (4 3/8 or 8mm bolts on rad side of water pump pulley), as it makes getting the radiator out a lot easier! The best way to do that is to undo the four bolts on the sides of the rad holding the cowling on (7/16 i think), and slide it 'back' towards the engine, you can then just about get a little spanner in now and undo the bolts by holding the spanner vertical and turning the fan (which is easy because you'll already have taken the fan belt off when you removed the alternator!)

As Mr Haynes would say, assembly is the reverse of removal!

Hope that helps!

Thomas

#5 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 07:01 PM

Sorry Bluemini(red) didn't see your message about the rad. Between us I think we've about got it covered!

#6 metalminis

metalminis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 09:33 AM

cheers guys, sounds easy enough!

#7 metalminis

metalminis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 05:21 PM

Well, I did the radiator today, No major problems. Had a bit of trouble getting the new cowling back on, due to it fouling a jubillee clip on the bottom hose, but didnt take too long to sort out. Did the brakes whilst I had all my tools out too. Just need to do the suspension now. The shocks are completey shot. They are rock solid!!

#8 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 05:52 PM

Nice one, well done. Shocks are easy, just the n/s rear thats a bit of a pain because of the fuel tank, but once the tanks moved its pretty straightforward!

Tom

#9 metalminis

metalminis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 04:08 PM

Next weeks job I think!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users