Photo
- - - - -

Electronic Ignition and Lucas Sport coil help?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 watcher666

watcher666

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:21 PM

Hi
I have just purchased a Lumenition Magnetronic Ignition System and a Lucas Sport Coil. Are the two compatable?

Im just worried as on the back of the Magnetronic's box it states that "These units will be damaged beyond repair if connected to an ignition coil with a static primary current greater than 6 AMPS. Coil resistance must be 2.5 OHMS or more and the coil itself must have a resistance of at least 1.5 OHMS."

And i cant find info regarding the specs of the Lucas Sports to check these!!!

Any help will be very appreciated as i dont want to blow up my ignition kit or coil!!! :lol:

Thanks
John

#2 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:46 PM

have you got a test meter? if you have you can check the resistance using that. I was told when i bough my lumenition kit that a sports coil isn't really suitable and you are better to stick with a standard lucas.

#3 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:38 PM

fit a ballast resistor and wire the ignition through that on one side! Think it should be ok as I believe that's what I had on my old mini!

#4 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:08 PM

iv got electronic ignition and had a LUCAS sports coil, i was told by the rollign road operater that i had a really weak spark and was luck to ahve not done any damage! so personally i wouldnt risk it!

#5 watcher666

watcher666

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:19 PM

Hi
Thanks for your help. I used a multimeter on the Lucas coil and the resistance is 2.9 OHMS which is above the 2.5 OHMS required by the ignition system!

So, hopefully it should be ok?!

Im assuming that the Lucas Sport Coil is supsosed to be a direct replacement for the standard coil so it shouldnt damage the lumention system!

Oh well...I'll soon find out!

#6 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:42 PM

yeh the ports coil is designed to replace the std coil on a minis ignition though im running metro A+ electronic ignition

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 10:58 AM

The sports coil is designed to replace the standard coil in contact breaker ignition systems, not electronic ones. The elctronic ignition will give you a fatter spark than standard anyway, I would not advise using the two together since Luminition say that their unit is designed for a standard coil. Having used a Luminition Magnetronic for ages the standard coil is good enough with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users