Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:14 PM

Hi

I will be putting a new gearbox into my car at the weekend, and at the same time doing the front subframe mountings.

All this talk about oil pressure recently has got me thinking. Dan said that the turbo oil pump doesn't make any difference unless on really knackered engines. I don't think mine is knackered, but it doesn't go any higher than 70psi ever, and will be at about 50psi when cruising hot. Shall I fit a turbo pump to it, or leave the one it has in now? (it was new 4 weeks ago when I last did the 'box).

Secondly, I ordered Minispares 'budget' front polybush kit, and its nothing like anything i've ever seen before. The front mounting bushes look simply like engine steady/tie bar bushes, they're not teardrop shaped at all. Is this right? Also, the tower bushes looks strange, has anyone ever fitted any of these before? I don't want to get halfway through doing it on saturday and find out i've got the wrong ones, or C**p one's that won't fit!

Thanks in advance

Tom

#2 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:03 AM

max 70psi and hot 50psi is an absolutly fine oil pressure, so don't go changing the pump again. If you are worried you could always check the bearings and crank while you have the engine and box split.

As for the polly bushes, don't they come with instructions? Minispares are usually pretty good in this department, in any case the best people to ask are Minispares, I'd have thought they are obliged to let you know how to fit them.

Wil

Wil

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:39 AM

These ones ????

Minispares have all their instructions on their website, actually I may be sneak, and pinch all of them and stick them on the CD anyway !! :fear:

Clicky Link But you do need to register ( it's free )

Edited by GuessWorks, 12 May 2005 - 07:43 AM.

#4 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:48 PM

You don't need any more than 70 psi, and you'll never get above that without changing the PRV anyway. This would be when fitting a turbo pump will be simply wasting power and destroying your oil prematurely. At 70 psi your PRV is opening and dumping more than half the pumped oil straight back into the sump, no matter how much oil you pump in this will still happen as it's what is meant to happen so all the extra oil is wasted.

#5 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 12 May 2005 - 04:34 PM

As for the polly bushes, don't they come with instructions?

:nugget: good point!!! I shall have a look at them. They got delivered to work and I just looked at them, didn't think of the instructions - don't tell anyone though :fear: :huh:

These ones ????

They're the ones!! I'll have a look at the instructions - always a good plan!

This would be when fitting a turbo pump will be simply wasting power and destroying your oil prematurely

Yup, I remember reading that bashing the oil about doesn't do it any good at all. I kind of wish I didn't have an oil pressure gauge, then I wouldn't be worrying so much!

Thanks everyone!

#6 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:33 PM

that sounds like me and my bank statements tom......i don't open and hope it all goes away lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users