snap-on works for me, everytime ;)

#17 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:35 PM

remember... tools are an investment. IMO buy good once or buy carp over and over.

#18 sixwheeler

sixwheeler

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:03 AM

I do have a clarke socket set and some spanners, Both the pro stuff and both very good and can't fault them.

Don't bother with the cheap stuff as it is rubbish and ultimately a waste of money as you will end up buying replacements.

Likewise, I think I have some halfords spanners (and some other bits and bobs), again the pro stuff and I can't fault them.

Screwdrivers, I buy facom or teng as I prefer the feel of them.

Pullers/special tools etc I tend to stick with the big names - SP, snap-on, teng, facom etc and never had a problem.

Between halfords and clarke I don't think you can go too wrong with the pro stuff. One will do better sets/combinations than the other so it is worth having a look to see what they have and you will probably end up getting bits from both places.

#19 sway

sway

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet!

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:24 AM

Another vote for Hellfrauds Pro range here. Excellent tools with a lifetime gaurantee. If you can convince them that yopu are trade (actually not that difficult!) you can get a 10% discount too!

SIP welders have a reputation for having decidedly dodgy wire feed mechanisms and personally I would avoid them. Wouldn't hesitate to buy a Clarke welder though, in fact I have one in the garage now.

Snap-On tools work for me too and I have a fair few in the garage, but lets be realistic here, £150+vat for a basic set of spanners is a bit rich for your average home user. Snap-On tools are designed to be used and abused all day every day, something that your average home mech just doesn't do or need.

Other pro brands mentioned above are Facom and Britool. Both are excellent tools used by the trade with the same guarantee as Snap-On but hugely cheaper as they aren't imported from America. May still be a tad expensive for the home mech though.

#20 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:40 AM

Another vote for Hellfrauds Pro range here. Excellent tools with a lifetime gaurantee. If you can convince them that yopu are trade (actually not that difficult!) you can get a 10% discount too!

Is that 10% off the Pro range of tools? Because I know the discount depends on what your buying. Last time I used mine (Cooper clip, mole grips, couple of other odds and sods), I ended up saving about 1/3rd off the total.

#21 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 19 April 2008 - 01:04 PM

I think the discount does vary, yes. I know I've bought bulbs on my card and they come out under half price. Pro tools are only about 10% though. I was going to get a set of the flexi-head ratchets, but they didnt have them in AF :bah:

#22 will.i.am

will.i.am

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Local Club: nay

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

thanks for the feedback! i've had a look at the halfords sets today and they looked alright,but the proof is in the pudding so i'll order a socket set online becuase you get big discounts like bert said

#23 sway

sway

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet!

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:36 AM

Is that 10% off the Pro range of tools? Because I know the discount depends on what your buying. Last time I used mine (Cooper clip, mole grips, couple of other odds and sods), I ended up saving about 1/3rd off the total.

to be honest I don't know. I didn't realise they had a variable scale of discounting, thought it wa
 a flat 10%. Can anyone else shed some light on this?

#24 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:50 AM

I can't give detail but I can confirm the variable discount rate.

Wiper are @ 50% off
Most instock parts are 20-50% off
Tool 10-20%
Bulbs go down to £0.50-£1

This just what I have noticed since having a trade card

You usually get a seperate reciept showing what you've saved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users