6 replies to this topic

#1 nobby

nobby

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:19 PM

Can someone tell me whats involved in fitting a sump Guard. i'm about to fit one and just want to make sure i don't make any simple mistakes, having offered up the guard to the sub frame it would seem some drilling is required.
Also how much clearance should i have between the guard and bottom of the gear box?, at first glance i will only have a few mm.

#2 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:28 PM

You'll need to drill the holes in the subrame to mount it. When I fitted mine, I had to bend the guard slightly to alow clearance of the gearbox. Idealy you want to alow around an inch between the 'box and guard to get some airflow to keep it cool.

#3 nobby

nobby

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:14 AM

In what way did you bend the Guard?.
I've been trying to think of possible ways in which a bend could give me the clearence but can't see a solution yet. Would hanging the guard away from the subframe using bolts be a possible way forward?.

#4 nobby

nobby

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:59 PM

ok just got of the phone with Mini Spares and they say there sump guard once fitted will leave about 5-7mm gap between guard and gear box!.

sounds about the clearence i'm getting..........should i trust them you think?.

#5 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:49 PM

I bent mine down the middle from front to back so it sat slightly lower, but if mini spares say its ok, then go with it.

#6 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:55 PM

I bought a nice lightweight shiney alloy sumpgaurd to put on my mini ,... but the holes dont line up with anywhere that you can drill through without hitting something :sad: so i will have to do some bending myself or maybe cut the legs off and make new ones that do fit :huh:

#7 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:01 PM

When i fitted mine there was not enough room between the guard and the gear box so i fitted it using the cotton real type exhaust mounts to lower it down a bit :smartass:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users